Oven Roasted Aubergine Recipe
Here’s how to make oven roasted aubergine (eggplant) baked to perfection in the oven! This recipe is easy, simple, nutritious and quick.
Roasted aubergine drizzled with avocado oil and seasoned with salt and black pepper. Cooking really couldn’t get any easier than this!
It’s a great side, appetiser or main dish to make throughout the week. Whenever I make this, I like to add garlic butter prawns and a sprinkling of coriander- the taste is INSANE.
This is a simple yet delicious way to enjoy aubergine that’s tender, tasty and not mushy!
Roasted Aubergine (Eggplant)
If you’re wondering what aubergine is, then you mostly likely call it Eggplant. Yes, aubergine and eggplant are exactly the same, so you can enjoy this recipe wherever you are in the world!
Roasting aubergine in the oven brings out its natural flavours. Plus, it turns juicy in the middle and firm around the sides.
Watch How To Make It
Do You Need To Soak Aubergine Before Roasting?
There’s no need to soak aubergines in water before roasting it. You can roast aubergines straight from the packet, there are no prior steps needed.
However, you can give them a quick rinse before roasting if the skin has dirt on it.
Can You Roast Aubergine With The Skin On?
Aubergine skin is entirely edible, so you don’t need to remove the skin before roasting. Aubergine skin is highly nutritious proving a good dose of antioxidants and fibre.
However, If you don’t like the skin you can remove it.
Below are the few ingredients needed for this recipe:
- Aubergines: I roasted two medium aubergines cut into halves, but you can also cut them into slices (they roast quicker in the oven this way).
- Oil: I used avocado oil, but you can also use olive oil, vegetable oil, sunflower oil or any other oil suitable for roasting.
- Salt & Black Pepper: Add salt and black pepper to taste.
How To Make Oven Roasted Aubergine
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make baked aubergine (eggplant) in the oven. Full recipe instructions are on the recipe card:
Preheat your oven to 200°C (gas mark 6, 180°Fan) and line a roasting tray with parchment paper. Cut the stalk from the aubergines then slice the aubergines in half.
Place the aubergines onto a lined roasting tray.
Score the flesh of each aubergine across the width and the length (like a criss-cross pattern). The scoring should be no more than 1cm deep.
Brush oil over the aubergines then sprinkle salt and black pepper on top.
Place the aubergines in the oven and roast for 35 to 40 minutes or until softened.
How To Prevent Aubergines From Going Mushy
One thing we don’t want is mushy aubergines! So here are a few tips to prevent this:
- Roast At A High Oven Temperature: Avoid roasting aubergines on a low and slow temperature. Instead, roasting at a high temperature will help maintain the aubergines firmness whilst containing the juice within it.
- Roast Skin Side Up: Roasting skin side up allows the liquid to seep onto the tray as opposed to being held within it.
- Salt Aubergines: Many people salt aubergines to help remove excess water, however I have tried this and noticed no major differences. I like to roast at a high temperature and that alone works for me.
How To Salt Aubergines: If you want to try this method, sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over the aubergines and mix. Leave the aubergines in a colander for at least 15 minutes, then rinse it off. Pat dry, drizzle oil, add seasonings and bake in the oven.
Ways To Slice Aubergines & How Long To Cook it
Wondering how long it takes to roast eggplant? How you slice your aubergine determines the cooking time needed in the oven. Vegetables are usually roasted at a high temperature of 200°C (gas mark 6, 180°Fan) for a short amount of time.
Generally, I like to cut aubergines in halves, but this takes roughly 35 to 40 minutes to bake in the oven. If you cut aubergines into slices (lengthways), then they take only 20 to 25 minutes.
Slicing aubergines into small discs will take roughly 20 minutes to bake, however this will vary depending on how thin you slice it.
Another way to cut aubergines is to dice them into cubes and roast for 15 to 20 minutes. When roasted, they come out caramelised around the edges and juicy in the middle.
What To Serve With Aubergine
Here are a few ideas on what to serve your aubergine with:
How To Add Extra Flavour To Eggplant
You can eat eggplant freshly baked out of the oven or add toppings to make it even more filling. Below are a few extra flavour ideas:
Add fresh or dried herbs like thyme, parsley or chives. I usually sprinkle fresh coriander to the roasted aubergine once baked, but you can also add herbs before baking in the oven.
Drizzle homemade garlic sauce, this combo is so delicious I just love it, and the garlic mayo is so quick and easy to make. I also like to serve aubergine with homemade peppercorn sauce, especially when I’m serving it with steak.
For a little bit of a tasty twist add a dollop of this red onion chutney.
How To Store & Keep
Roasted aubergines are best served freshly baked, though you can store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
I wouldn’t recommend freezing aubergines as it will defrost very mushy! Aubergines have a high-water content, so will become really soggy once defrosted.
More Roasted Vegetables Recipe
Want more roasted vegetable recipes, well you’re in luck! Check out these dishes below:
- Roasted Courgettes
- Honey Roasted Parsnips And Carrots
- Skin On Fries
- Roasted Broccoli
- Parmentier Potatoes
- Oxo Roast Potatoes
- Marmite Roast Potatoes
Roasted Aubergine (Eggplant) Oven Baked
- 2 Aubergines
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (Or Oil Of Choice)
- Salt To Taste
- Black Pepper To Taste
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (gas mark 6, 180°Fan) and line a roasting tray with parchment paper.
- Cut the stalk from the aubergines then slice the aubergines in half.
- Place the aubergines onto a lined roasting tray. Score the flesh of each aubergine across the width and the length (like a criss-cross pattern). The scoring should be no more than 1cm deep.
- Brush oil over the aubergines then sprinkle salt and black pepper on top.
- Place the aubergines in the oven and roast for 35 to 40 minutes or until softened.
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY