How To Make Homemade Chicken Goujons Baked In The Oven
Delicious, tender and juicy chicken goujons that’s oven-baked and so crispy! This homemade recipe is quick, simple and easy to make. The perfect recipe for picnics, parties and dinner.
A chicken goujons is something we’ve all tried; I usually have them around Christmas time when the shops are full of them. Though they taste good, some of the ones you can buy can be very dry with hardly any in the pack. I started making my own homemade chicken goujons and they taste so much better.
With this recipe you’ll get crispy, crunchy, and tasty chicken pieces that’s coated in seasoned breadcrumbs. It’s a popular dish because you only need minimal ingredients, you can easily double the recipe for events and there’s no frying involved whatsoever! Yes, you can get super crispy chicken goujons without the need for a deep fryer! This must be the crispiest no-bake goujons ever and there’s a secret ingredient as to why…
What Are Chicken Goujons?
Goujons are thin strips of meat or fish that has been deep-fried. Goujons are commonly made with strips of chicken which is coated in breadcrumbs before being fried for a crispy texture and golden-brown colour.
The exact origin of this chicken dish is hard to pinpoint but it’s very popular amongst many countries. Chicken goujons are also known as chicken tenders, chicken strips and chicken fingers. I usually call them chicken strips until I realised, they’re called goujons too! I’m sure there are many more names for this delicious treat.
Watch How To Make It
- Panko Breadcrumbs: The secret ingredient, it takes crispiness to a whole new level. Unlike standard breadcrumbs, panko breadcrumbs are made from flakes of crustless white bread. It provides a flakier and crispier breadcrumb perfect for this recipe. You can buy them in the Asian section of supermarkets or online.
- Chicken Breast Mini Fillets: You can also buy chicken breasts and slice it into strips.
- Seasonings: A mixture of salt, pepper, garlic granules and paprika is used to flavour the chicken goujons, make them as spicy as you please. You can also add in your favourite spices too.
- Egg: Egg is used to help bind the breadcrumbs to the chicken strips.
- Plain Flour: Plain flour is used to help the egg bind to the chicken.
- Oil: I used vegetable oil to grease the baking tray, it’s also brushed over the chicken pieces to help them crisp in the oven. I also like to drizzle olive oil after for ultimate crispiness but you can also do this with vegetable oil.
My Tip For Making Mess Free Goujons
It’s so easy to get your hands messy when coating chicken pieces in breadcrumbs. You have to coat each piece in the flour, then egg, then the breadcrumbs; you can easily end up coating your own fingers too! But below is a mess free way to avoid messy and gluey fingers:
USE TONGS LIKE THIS ONE HERE!!!
Yes, it’s the only way that works perfectly for me. I have tried using one hand to toss the chicken in dry ingredients and the other hand to toss the chicken in wet ingredients. But some time down the line I mix hands, ultimately left with sticky fingers.
Using tongs will help you prevent a real mess!
How To Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Goujons
Making crispy chicken goujons is really easy, it’s breaded in panko breadcrumbs for the crispiest texture ever! Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make them. Plus, you can find full instructions on the recipe card at the bottom.
I used chicken breast mini fillets so the chicken pieces where already the right size for me. If you’re using chicken breasts or want smaller strips. Cut them into the average goujon size which is a bit like a finger, though mine were a bit bigger.
Start by placing 3 bowls down on your work surface and line across sideways. In the first bowl to your left, fill with flour. In the second bowl add the whisked eggs and in the third bowl fill with the panko breadcrumbs.
Evenly sprinkle a tablespoon of each seasoning between the plain flour and breadcrumbs. Half a tablespoon will go into the flour and the remaining half will go into the breadcrumbs. Do this with the salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and garlic granules.
Take one piece of chicken and place in the bowl with plain flour, coat the chicken in the flour using your tongs. Then place the chicken into the whisked egg and coat in the egg mixture. Finally, place the chicken into the bowl of breadcrumbs and toss it around until coated in all areas. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
Place the chicken goujons in a baking tray lined with parchment paper. This stops the chicken from sticking to the baking tray and the crispy coating ripping off when trying to remove it! Generously coat the breaded chicken goujons in oil with a basting brush, you’ll want each piece to be coated all over in oil.
After I’ve coated the chicken in oil with my basting brush, I sometimes drizzle olive oil on top. As the chicken is not fried, this step adds extra crispiness to these homemade goujons.
Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, the goujons should be golden brown in colour. You may need to cook the goujons for longer or less depending on the size of chicken you have used for this recipe.
What To Serve With Chicken Goujons
There are so many ways to eat chicken goujons and lots of ingredients that go well served with it:
- Put them in a wrap with lettuce, tomatoes and sweet chilli mayo like in my southern fried chicken wrap recipe.
- Serve with a salad
- Serve with lots of sauces like ketchup, mayo, garlic sauce and sweet chilli sauce.
- Sweet potato fries
- Roasted tenderstem broccoli
- Homemade hummus
How To Store & Reheat
Chicken goujons don’t make the best leftovers. I saved a few for the next day and when I warmed it in the microwave it was not crispy at all! The flavour is so much better when freshly made that’s for sure. Instead of reheating in the microwave it’s better to reheat in the oven, but bare in mind it still won’t be as crispy.
Store the goujons in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container, make sure when reheating the chicken it’s thoroughly heated throughout.
Below are more chicken recipes for you to try:
- Southern Fried Chicken Wrap
- Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- KFC Style Chicken Fillet Burger
- Crispy Salt And Chilli Chicken
- Sweet And Sour Chicken Balls
- Chicken Chow Mein
- Honey Chilli Chicken
- Chicken Vermicelli
- Crispy Salt And Pepper Chicken
Crispy Chicken Goujons (Oven Baked Recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4, 350°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Drizzle with oil and set aside for later.
- Place 3 bowls down on your work surface and line across sideways. In the first bowl to your left, fill with flour. In the second bowl add the whisked eggs and in the third bowl fill with the panko breadcrumbs.
- Evenly sprinkle a tablespoon of each seasoning between the plain flour and breadcrumbs. Half a tablespoon will go into the flour and the remaining half will go into the breadcrumbs. Do this with the salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and garlic granules.
- Use a tong to take one piece of chicken and coat it in the plain flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs and place on the baking tray. Do this until all chicken pieces are coated.
- Generously coat the chicken goujons in oil using a basting brush.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, the goujons should be golden brown in colour. You may need to cook the goujons for longer or less depending on the size of chicken you have used for this recipe.
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY