How To Cook Tenderstem (Long-Stem) Broccoli – Roasted In The Oven
Roasted tenderstem broccoli is an easy side dish ready to eat in a matter of minutes. Roasted with olive oil and garlic; this is one of my favourites and will soon become one of yours too!
Tenderstem broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables: it’s so easy to put together, takes a matter of minutes to cook and tastes so delicious. A side dish doesn’t have to be complicated or take time to put together and this recipe proves this.
Broccoli is delicious but roasted tenderstem broccoli in the oven with olive oil and sprinkled garlic is even better. If you’re wondering how to cook tenderstem broccoli, then look no further (it’s actually super easy). I’ll show you how to roast tasty tenderstem broccoli with this step-by-step recipe and video below.
What Is Tenderstem Broccoli?
Tenderstem broccoli or broccolini (as called in the US) is a hybrid of broccoli and Chinese kale introduced first in Japan 1993. When long stem broccoli was first introduced, it was originally grown in warmer climates like Kenya. But from 2010 farmers began to grow them in the British Isles.
Now half of the long stem broccoli eaten in the UK comes from West Sussex and Hampshire and can be brought all year round despite the peak season being in November. You can even grow your own tenderstem broccoli, how exciting!
You only need the four ingredients below to roast tenderstem broccoli, most ingredients like salt, garlic and pepper you might have at home already.
- Tenderstem Broccoli: Long stem broccoli is widely available in supermarkets, usually in the fruit and vegetable section.
- Garlic: Adds flavour and warmth to the dish.
- Olive Oil: Used to help the tenderstem broccoli cook and adds flavour.
- Salt & Pepper: For extra flavour.
How To Roast TenderStem Broccoli
Before we start roasting, here’s how to prepare tenderstem broccoli: thoroughly wash the broccoli and pat them dry using a paper towel. There’s no need to cut the broccoli spear (broccoli spear is the stem). If you’re wondering whether you can eat all tendestem broccoli. You can, every part of this vegetable including the broccoli stems can be eaten.
Preheat your oven to gas mark 4/180°C/350°F and place your tenderstem broccoli on a baking or roasting tray. Spread them out so that the they are lined across the tray.
Drizzle olive oil all over the tenderstem broccoli and sprinkle the thinly-sliced garlic.
Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Once cooked sprinkle with salt and pepper, leave to cool for 5 minutes, serve and enjoy.
What To Serve With Tenderstem Broccoli
Roasted tenderstem broccoli is the perfect side dish as it goes with so many recipes and is a great substitute for standard broccoli.
My favourite recipe to pair with tenderstem broccoli is my honey and chilli Chinese crispy beef, I don’t cook this meal without it!
When meal prepping teriyaki chicken with rice, I usually use standard broccoli but I love to use tenderstem when I’m feeling for a change.
How To Store Tenderstem Broccoli
Fresh Cut Broccoli: For freshly cut tenderstem broccoli place in a plastic food bag and store in the fridge. You could also wrap the broccoli in a damp paper towel and leave in the refrigerator. This provides an optimal healthy and moist breathable environment.
Broccoli From The Supermarket: Store in the refrigerator for the amount of time specified on the packaging, this may be around 5 days+.
Cooked Tenderstem Broccoli: Freshly cooked broccoli will taste best freshly made. But if you have leftovers that you want to keep, leave the broccoli to cool down completely before placing them in an shallow air-tight container. Place in the fridge and eat within 3 to 5 days.
Can You Reheat Tenderstem Broccoli?
Yes, you can reheat tenderstem broccoli. You can either reheat in the oven until warmed or you can place the broccoli in the microwave for about 1 minute.
Other Ways To Cook Tenderstem Broccoli
- Frying Tenderstem Broccoli: Heat your wok or frying pan over a high heat and add oil. When the pan is hot add sliced garlic and stir-fry for roughly 30 seconds. Then add the tenderstem broccoli and fry constantly stirring for 5 minutes or until cooked.
- Steam Tenderstem Broccoli: Bring a pan of water to the boil place the broccoli in a colander or steaming pan and steam for 3-4 minutes or until cooked.
- Boil Tenderstem Broccoli: Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the tenderstem broccoli. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until cooked. Drain the water and serve.
Can You Use Standard Broccoli?
Yes, you can use standard broccoli in this recipe instead of tenderstem broccoli. Follow the recipe in the same way but you would need to cut the broccoli into thin floret pieces, leaving as much stem as possible. This will quicken the time taken to cook in the oven.
How To Freeze / Reheat Tenderstem Broccoli
To freeze tenderstem broccoli, once cooked using this recipe. Leave to cool down completely, place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place in the freezer for 4-6 hours or until frozen. Then transfer the broccoli into an air-tight container or freezer safe bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Is Tenderstem Broccoli Better Than Normal Broccoli?
Yes, way better I love it. Tenderstem broccoli is more like asparagus and has a little crunch to it. It looks fancy and is the perfect side to impress friends and family. Tenderstem broccoli is described to have a sweet, nutty flavour.
More Vegetable Recipes
Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli With Garlic
- 200 g Tenderstem Broccoli
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Sliced)
- 2-3 tbsp Olive Oil
- Pinch Salt Optional
- Pinch Pepper Optional
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 4/180°C/350°F
- Place the tenderstem broccoli on a baking or roasting tray. Spread them out so that the they are lined across the tray.
- Drizzle olive oil all over the tenderstem broccoli and sprinkle the thinly-sliced garlic.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Once cooked sprinkle with salt and pepper, leave to cool for 5 minutes, serve and enjoy.
Roasting tenderstem broccoli is quite easy right? If you’ve made this recipe tag me on Instagram @MyMorningMocha. I will love to see it!
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY