How To Make Crispy Skin On Fries
These crispy skin on fries are delicious, crispy and incredibly easy to make! They only need 30 minutes in the oven and make the perfect side dish or quick snack.
There’s nothing like homemade skin on fries that’s crispy around the edges and soft and fluffy in the middle. They’re seasoned to perfection, very easy to prep and involves no frying at all.
Whether you’re serving these fries as a side dish or main course, you’ll get the perfect texture every time! This is my go-to skin on fries recipe that never disappoints.
They are seriously good and homemade, which always tastes better than shop-brought versions.
Below are the few ingredients needed for this skin on fries recipe:
- Potatoes: You can make skin on fries with most potatoes but you’ll want to use potatoes that are high in starch for best results. High-starch potatoes like maris pipers are good for making crispy and fluffy fries.
- Oil: I used sunflower oil but any flavourless oil with a high smoke point is good to use.
- Seasoning: I used salt, garlic granules and black pepper to flavour the fries. You can add your favourite seasonings and herbs: paprika and Cajun seasoning are good flavours to try.
How To Make Homemade Skin On Fries
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make homemade skin on fries. Full recipe instructions are on the recipe card, don’t forget to watch the video!
Preheat your oven to 220°C (gas mark 7, 425°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Cut the potatoes into disks and then slice into fries.
Add the potatoes into a bowl of cold water and wash with cold water to remove any dirt and starch.
Dry the potatoes using a paper towel and place them into a clean bowl. Add salt, black pepper, garlic granules and oil to the potatoes and mix until thoroughly distributed.
Pour the potatoes onto a lined baking tray and spread the potatoes out in a single layer (use two baking trays if necessary).
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and turn the fries over halfway. Then enjoy!
Why Do You Soak Potatoes In Water Before Making French Fries?
Washing the potatoes and soaking them for a period of time helps to remove excess starch. If you have the time, soak the fries for at least 30 minutes to help the potatoes crisp up beautifully in the oven.
Try to cut your potatoes roughly the same size, the fries will all bake at the same time instead of having different cooking times.
After washing the potatoes with cold water, dry them completely before adding oil and seasonings. This is because they will cook better and be crispier once baked in the oven.
Don’t forget to line your baking tray with parchment paper, especially if you’re not using a non-stick baking tray. It makes removal of the fries super easy and prevents any sticking to the baking tray.
You can make this recipe ahead of time! Simply cut the potatoes into fries and place into a bowl of water. The next day or when you are ready to fry them: dry the potatoes, add seasonings and oil then bake.
How To Get Homemade Fries Crispy Every Time
- Make sure to use potatoes that are high in starch and great for roasting. Alongside maris pipers, King Edwards and russet potatoes are best for making homemade chips and fries.
- For the best skin on fries, follow this recipe and make sure to pre-heat your oven before baking the potatoes. The fries need to enter a hot oven so it can start cooking straight away.
- thoroughly dry the potatoes after washing them, this will help the potatoes crisp up!
- You can create chunky skin on fries by cutting the potatoes bigger. Bear in mind the chunkier the potatoes are the longer they will take to cook.
- Add more spices such a Cajun seasoning, paprika or garlic salt.
- Add dried herbs such as oregano and basil.
What To Serve With Skin On Fries
They taste good on their own and taste amazing as a side too! If you want a filling meal, below are a few ideas on what to serve with skin on fries:
Peppercorn Sauce: Delicious peppercorn sauce perfect for steak and to dip your fries into. This sauce is very creamy and quick to make.
Southern Fried Chicken Wrap: A tasty chicken wrap staring tender chicken strips coated in a crispy southern fried breadcrumb.
Chicken Goujons: Delicious, tender and juicy oven baked chicken breast coated in crispy breadcrumbs.
KFC Popcorn Chicken: KFC style popcorn chicken; so tasty and delicious!
KFC Chicken Fillet Burger: Homemade chicken fillet burger with a seasoned and tender fried chicken breast.
Jamaican Patties: Flaky pastries filled with a ground beef mixture that’s packed full of spice and flavour.
How To Store
These fries are best eaten straight away otherwise they will lose their crispiness being reheated.
But if you want to store these fries, simply place them in an airtight container and keep in the fridge. Reheat in the oven for around 10 minutes.
Skin On Fries Recipe (Oven Baked)
- 4 Potatoes I Used Maris Pipers
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Granules
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 220°C (gas mark 7, 425°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut the potatoes into disks and then slice into fries.
- Add the potatoes into a bowl of cold water and wash with cold water to remove any dirt and starch.
- Dry the potatoes using a paper towel and place them into a clean bowl.
- Add salt, black pepper, garlic granules and oil to the potatoes and mix until thoroughly distributed.
- Pour the potatoes onto a lined baking tray and spread the potatoes out in a single layer (use two baking trays if necessary).
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and turn the fries over halfway. Then enjoy!
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY