How To Make Garlic Sauce For Kebabs
Kebab shop garlic sauce, the perfect sauce for kebabs! Get ready to transform your burgers, salads, kebabs, fries and more with this homemade recipe.
No kebab is complete without heaps of drizzled garlic sauce! With this recipe, you’ll be able to make homemade garlic sauce in the comfort of your own home.
It’s incredibly creamy, smooth, tangy and full of garlic flavour. Plus, you only need 5 basic ingredients to make it. Serve this garlic sauce with homemade kebabs, salads, grilled meats or simply use it as a dip.
It’s made with a mayonnaise and Greek style yoghurt base with added spices and of course garlic. This homemade garlic sauce is very simple but it’s big on taste and Turkish takeaway flavour!
Why You’ll Like This Recipe
- Ready in less than 5 minutes, this recipe is extremely quick and easy.
- Made with only 5 basic ingredients and nothing out of the ordinary.
- Impress friends and family with this homemade fakeaway kebab sauce. It’s perfect for sandwiches, BBQs and gatherings.
- You can adjust the level of seasonings and garlic to suit your own personal taste. This recipe is SO adaptable!
- A great way to use up leftover garlic, Greek style yoghurt or mayonnaise.
Watch How To Make It
Below are the ingredients needed to make takeaway style garlic sauce:
- Greek Style Natural Yoghurt: Use plain Greek style yoghurt; avoid using sweet or flavoured yoghurts.
- Mayonnaise: Any brand of mayonnaise is good to use; I normally use full-fat mayonnaise.
- Lemon Juice: Adds a tangy taste to the garlic sauce. You can use fresh lemons to create lemon juice or buy lemon juice.
- Garlic: I like to buy minced garlic, its pre-minced into fine pieces. You can use garlic cloves and mince them yourself.
- Seasonings: For extra flavour salt and black pepper are added.
How To Make Kebab Shop Garlic Sauce
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make homemade kebab shop garlic sauce. Full recipe instructions are on the recipe card.
If you’re using garlic cloves, use a garlic press to mince the garlic into small pieces. I brought minced garlic from my local supermarket.
You can also use a pestle and mortar to grind the garlic cloves into a fine paste.
Buying minced garlic makes this recipe extremely quick and pretty much effortless.
In a mixing bowl add Greek style yoghurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, diced garlic, black pepper and salt to the mixing bowl.
Mix the mixture together with a whisk until evenly distributed and the ingredients have combined.
Your takeaway garlic sauce is ready! Give the sauce a try and add more ingredients to suit your taste if necessary. By making your own homemade sauce, you can adapt it to your personal preference.
TIP: Store the ingredients in the fridge to prevent the mixture from splitting when making it. If you’re worried about the mixture splitting, you can add the lemon juice to the minced garlic first. Instead of mixing all the ingredients together.
What To Serve With Homemade Garlic Sauce
Go all out and make a full on Turkish fakeaway with these tasty recipes below:
Or you can serve this garlic sauce with:
How To Make The Garlic Milder
There are ways to reduce the garlic intensity in this sauce. If you want a mild garlic taste, below are a few suggestions:
Halve the number of garlic used in this recipe, start with less and add more if necessary after tasting it.
If you can’t get your hands on minced garlic or garlic cloves, you can use garlic powder instead. It’s not as intense as fresh garlic but will still add a garlicky taste.
Blanch the garlic by placing it in a bowl of boiled water for 5 to 10 minutes, this will reduce the garlic flavour. Alternatively, you can roast the garlic cloves before use; these two methods will add time to the recipe.
How To Store And Keep
Place the garlic sauce in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. Make sure to use a secure lid, otherwise your fridge will be smelling of garlic!
Is This Garlic Sauce Vegan?
No, this sauce is not vegan due to the mayonnaise and Greek style yoghurt in it. It is vegetarian but you can make it vegan by making the following substitutions:
- Use dairy-free Greek style yoghurt
- Use vegan mayonnaise instead of standard mayonnaise.
Kebab Shop Garlic Sauce!
- 5 tbsp Greek Style Natural Yoghurt
- 5 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Diced Garlic Cloves ( 2 tbsp minced garlic)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- If you’re using garlic cloves, use a garlic press or pestle and mortar to mince the garlic into small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl add Greek style yoghurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, diced garlic, black pepper and salt to the mixing bowl.
- Mix the mixture together with a whisk until evenly distributed and the ingredients have combined.
- Your takeaway garlic sauce is ready! Give the sauce a try and add more ingredients to suit your taste if necessary.
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY
Leave a Reply