Chips And Chinese Curry Sauce
Take your chips to a whole new level with this Chinese curry sauce recipe. It’s incredibly easy to make and the taste is seriously good. Serve with chips, mash or veggies for a classic takeaway meal.
Chips and Chinese curry sauce, a delicious recipe that’s so easy to make. This UK classic is by no means picture perfect but the taste… well, it’s incredible!
You can’t go too far without finding a chip shop with Chinese curry sauce on the menu. Slather it on deep fried chips and you’ve got yourself a British classic.
The sauce is velvety and thick, and the taste is rich and flavoursome. Ingredients like soy sauce and garlic powder gives the sauce a Chinese inspired twist.
Why You’ll Like This Recipe
- Ready in 10 minutes!
- It’s naturally gluten-free.
- The taste is soo good.
- You can make your favourite takeaway sauce easily at home.
Chinese Curry Sauce
You can find curry sauce in many Chinese takeaways and British chip shops here in the UK. It’s a blend of Indian and Chinese flavours that create this absolute must-have sauce for your chips.
The sauce is savoury with a touch of sweetness and it’s a lot lighter than traditional Indian curries. The addition of Chinese 5 spice and soy sauce makes this sauce taste so good.
Watch How To Make It
Love Takeaway Sauces?
This curry dip is not the first fakeaway sauce on this site!
Below are the few ingredients needed for this recipe:
- Chicken Stock: I mixed Knorr chicken stock pot and water together, you can use fresh chicken stock or chicken broth instead. Vegetable stock is also fine to use, if you don’t have either you can use water.
- Butter: The addition of butter creates a rich and creamy curry sauce.
- Seasonings: Chinese 5 spice, curry powder, turmeric and garlic powder are the key spices that make a good Chinese-style curry sauce.
- Dark Soy Sauce: Adds flavour and darkens the curry sauce slightly. If you don’t have dark soy sauce, you can use light soy sauce.
- Sugar: The addition of sugar adds a slight sweetness to the curry.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch is mixed with water to create a slurry. This mixture thickens the curry sauce.
How To Make Chinese Curry Sauce And Chips
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make homemade Chip Chop Curry sauce (Chinese style). Full recipe instructions are on the recipe card:
Add butter to a pan and heat on a medium heat. Once melted, slowly add a little bit of stock and stir thoroughly. Then add the rest of the stock and stir.
Add curry powder, Chinese 5 spice, dark soy sauce, garlic powder, turmeric and sugar to the pan and mix until evenly distributed.
Mix cornflour with two tablespoons of water, pour the mixture into the sauce and mix together.
This is a great time to get the chips going. If you’re using frozen chips, deep fry or cook in the oven according to packet instructions.
Leave the sauce to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened, stir the sauce occasionally to prevent any sticking to the pan. Once the sauce has reached your desired thickness, remove the pan from the heat, serve and enjoy!
How To Serve
You don’t have to serve Chinese curry sauce with chip shop chips! Yes, this recipe goes well with pretty much everything.
Serve Curry Sauce With Homemade Chips
Below are tasty chips recipes that you can serve with this Chinese curry sauce:
My Top Tips On Getting The Right Sauce Texture
Avoid adding too much water, this will make the curry sauce very runny instead of being thick and luscious. If you find your curry sauce is too runny, simply add more cornflour slurry.
Add a small amount of slurry at a time, a little really does go a long way. Bear in mind, as the sauce cools down it thickens even more. So, adding too much cornflour can result in a really thick and stodgy sauce.
If you’re sauce is too thick, simply add more water.
How To Store & Freeze Chinese Curry Sauce
To store, simply keep the curry sauce in an airtight container like this and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you want to keep it for longer, then you’re better off freezing it.
You can freeze homemade Chinese curry sauce and even chip shop chips too! Simply place the sauce and chips separately in either a freezer safe container or a freezer bag.
Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months and leave to thaw overnight when you’re ready to eat it. You can reheat a small amount of sauce before serving, if it’s too thick add a small amount of water.
Chinese Curry Sauce Recipe Variations
To increase the Chinese inspired flavour, you can add half a teaspoon of ginger powder or freshly diced ginger. This will add even more depth of flavour to the sauce.
Feel free to add additional salt or more sugar to please your tastebuds.
Turn this sauce into a filling curry by adding cooked chicken and vegetables. Serve with rice or noodles for a simple yet tasty dinner everyone will love.
Go for a low salt (sodium) stock if you don’t like curry sauces that are salty in taste. You can also omit the soy sauce in this recipe.
More Takeaway Recipes
- Chinese Chicken And Sweetcorn Soup
- King Prawn Balti Curry
- Beef With Ginger And Spring Onion
- Chicken Shish Kebab
- KFC Popcorn Chicken
- Chinese Prawn Balls
Chinese Curry Sauce And Chips Recipe
- 300 ml Chicken Stock See Notes
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Cornflour Mixed With 2 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Chinese 5 Spice
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- Add butter to a pan and heat on a medium heat. Once melted, slowly add a little bit of stock and stir thoroughly. Then add the rest of the stock and stir.
- Add curry powder, Chinese 5 spice, dark soy sauce, garlic powder, turmeric and sugar to the pan and mix until evenly distributed.
- Mix cornflour with two tablespoons of water, pour the mixture into the sauce and mix together.
- This is a great time to get the chips going. If you’re using frozen chips, deep fry or cook in the oven according to packet instructions.
- Leave the sauce to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened, stir the sauce occasionally to prevent any sticking to the pan.Once the sauce has reached your desired thickness, remove the pan from the heat, serve and enjoy!
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY