How To Make Chinese Takeaway King Prawn Fried Rice
Delicious Chinese takeaway style king prawn fried rice, ready to eat in just 15 minutes. This recipe is easy, tasty and your new go-to fakeaway meal!
King prawn fried rice is a popular Chinese takeaway dish; one of my all-time favourites! It’s so easy to make at home and tastes just as good as the takeaway versions. It’s filled with peas, an egg, carrots and succulent king prawns that are tossed with rice and coated in a rich savoury sauce.
This recipe is great for using up leftover rice or to make packet rice a lot more interesting. If you’re using rice you cooked yourself, it needs to be one day old for best results.
If you like fried rice dishes like me, then you’ll you also like this Singapore fried rice recipe!
What Kind Of Rice Do Chinese Restaurants Use For Fried Rice?
If you’re wondering what’s the best rice to use for fried rice dishes, the answer is jasmine rice. It’s used in many Chinese takeaway shops and restaurants. It has a light aromatic aroma, a nice texture and it’s easy to manoeuvre in the wok. This is why jasmine rice is quite popular to use.
If you don’t have jasmine rice at home, then there are many other options for you to choose from. Grains like basmati rice or long-grain rice are good alternatives that are widely available. You can still make tasty prawn fried rice with whichever rice you choose.
Watch How To Make It
How To Prepare Your Rice Before And After Cooking
There are so many ways to cook rice, growing up I mostly cooked rice without a rice cooker only using it occasionally. The way you choose to cook your rice is entirely up to you, the cooking time will vary depending on the type of rice you use. Below are a few key tips for prepping your rice.
Wash Your Rice!!
Before you start to cook your rice, make sure you wash it out a few times to get rid of as much starch as possible.
I do this by pouring the rice into a pot, filling it with water then mixing the rice around with my hands. I then pour the water out and repeat. You’ll notice in your first rinse the water will be quite cloudy, but as you continue to rinse it out the water will become clearer and clearer. Do this for about 2 to 3 times or more if necessary.
Keep Cooked Rice In The Fridge
Once your rice has cooked pour it into a container and leave it to cool down. Then cover it and place it in the fridge; rice that is one day old is best to use. Fresh rice is quite sticky and can clump together. Rice that has been kept in the fridge for a day would have dried out, being less likely to turn to mush.
Below are the few ingredients needed to make this Chinese king prawn fried rice.
- Prawns: I used jumbo king prawns, you may need to clean and de-shell your prawns if they’re not done already. You can also use tiger prawns, chicken or other types of meat to make this dish. I also added egg to this recipe, but this is optional.
- Vegetables: I kept this recipe simple by only using peas and carrots, you can add more vegetables if you like or even leave the vegetables out. Make sure to cut the carrots into small square chunks.
- Fried Rice Sauce: For the best Chinese takeaway style king prawn fried rice, not only soy sauce is added to this dish but oyster sauce, sesame oil and Shaoxing wine too. This combo is what will give you a tasty fried rice.
- Other Flavours & Seasonings: Salt, white pepper and garlic are added to this dish to add even more flavour. If you don’t have white pepper, you can use black pepper instead.
- Rice: I used a day-old jasmine rice that I made the day before and kept in the fridge to chill. If you don’t have the time to make rice the day before, then you can use a packet rice.
- Vegetable Oil: I used vegetable oil to make this dish. If you don’t have vegetable oil, then you can use any neutral flavoured oil.
How To Make King Prawn Fried Rice
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make king prawn fried rice, full recipe instructions are on the recipe card at the bottom. This is an easy way to make king prawn fried rice as you’ll cook everything in one wok without taking ingredients out then added them back in later.
Add oil to your wok and heat over a medium to high heat, add the garlic, spring onions and stir for one minute.
Add prawns to the wok and continue to cook stirring for 2 minutes, then add the peas, salt, white pepper, Shaoxing cooking wine and continue to stir.
Then add one whisked egg. Leave the egg for a few seconds to cook at the bottom before scrambling it into pieces.
Add the rice, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and stir together until the rice now looks brown. Turn the heat off and sprinkle extra chopped spring onions if you wish. Plate the rice and enjoy!
My Top Tips
Making king prawn fried rice is actually very quick once you have all your ingredients prepped. It’s best to prep your ingredients before you start stir-frying, this will prevent you from stopping and starting after every step. Chop your vegetables, clean your prawns and whisk your egg beforehand, these are helpful quick steps to make cooking this recipe smooth.
Spring onions are added to the oil in the first step. This flavours the oil that the rice will be mixed into, you can also sprinkle extra spring onions on top for a fresh oniony flavour.
Do not use freshly cooked rice, it will be too sticky and soft! Make sure to use a day-old rice or at least rice that has chilled few hours, so that it is not full of moisture. A great tip to cool freshly cooked rice is to spread the cooked rice over a tray and place in the fridge uncovered.
Use a large wok so that you have enough space to stir fry the ingredients without it flying everywhere.
How Spicy Is This Prawn Fried Rice?
For me, this prawn fried rice recipe is not that spicy but rather mild, however this is up to personal taste. To add more heat to this recipe you can add chopped chillies in step 1 and chilli powder in step 2 for a delicious homemade spicy prawn fried rice.
More Chinese Fakeaway Recipes
There are so many more easy Chinese fakeaway recipes you can make just like this king prawn fried rice. You can serve it with crispy salt and chilli chicken, sesame prawn toast or crispy beef. If you want to make more Chinese prawn recipes, then try my sweet and sour prawns or prawn chow mein recipe.
Here are some more tasty recipes below:
King Prawn Fried Rice
- Add oil to your wok and heat over a medium to high heat, add the garlic, spring onions and stir for one minute.
- Add prawns to the wok and continue to cook stirring for 2 minutes, then add the peas, salt, white pepper, Shaoxing cooking wine and continue to stir.
- Then add one whisked egg. Leave the egg for a few seconds to cook at the bottom before scrambling it into pieces.
- Add the rice, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and stir together until the rice now looks brown. Turn the heat off and sprinkle extra chopped spring onions if you wish. Plate the rice and enjoy!
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY