How To Make Loaded Dirty Fries From Scratch With This Easy Recipe
Take your oven chips to a whole new level with this fully loaded dirty fries recipe. The perfect quick and easy dish for a night in or after a busy day at work.
This dirty fries recipe will leave you wanting more and more! Chips topped with bacon, onions, bell peppers, Cajun seasoning and lots of cheese are so dirty and so good. I love making this and you will too! Whether you want a quick snack or a cheeky side dish, you can always rely on homemade dirty fries.
After trying dirty fries in an American-style restaurant here in the UK, I just knew I had to make my own loaded fries recipe to enjoy at home! My whole family loves it and I can’t wait for you to try this! Make these fries as naughty or as nice as you please, really the number of toppings you can add are endless.
Why You’ll Love This Dirty Fries Recipe
Chips is a dish we all love; we can make them even better by adding our favourite toppings. If you love cheesy fries, then you’re going to love this; it’s so much better. I love making dirty fries because:
- They’re super quick to make and requires minimal effort.
- Super indulgent and delicious.
- Packed with flavour.
- A fun dish to eat with others.
- A cheap meal to satisfy all.
What Are Loaded Chips (Dirty Fries)?
Here in the UK, I feel like not too many people know about dirty fries; this recipe will introduce you to a treat! If you’ve never tried dirty fries (loaded fries) before you might be wondering well, what are loaded fries?
Loaded fries are French fries that are topped with cheese, bacon, onions, spices and various other toppings of choice. They are also called dirty fries as they’re packed with cheese and dressed in so many indulgent fillings (that might not be so healthy). The chips and topping are usually heated in the oven which makes the cheese melt all over the fries when served. That’s right it’s a cheesy chips takeaway but on a whole new level.
What Toppings Do You Put On Loaded Fries?
Delicious bacon and cheese as toppings are a must when making heavy loaded fries; this is as standard! This recipe also adds onions, spring onions, bell peppers and Cajun seasoning to make the best version ever. The best thing about making homemade dirty fries is that the toppings you use is completely up to you.
You can make this as naughty or nice as you please by adding your favourite ingredients like tomatoes, mince, pulled pork and even more peppers.
Dirty Fries Recipe Ingredients
Full details of the ingredients and quantities are on the recipe card at the bottom.
- Fries: I used frozen French fries, French fries are the long and thin type of chips you can buy or make yourself. If you are buying them frozen, any brand works well with this recipe.
- Streaky Bacon: Streaky bacon cooks in a quick timeframe compared to other types of bacon which are thicker in texture. You can also get streaky bacon really crispy if you wish, it provides a delicious crispy crunch.
- Cheese: I used cheddar cheese but you can you any type of cheese you prefer. Cheeses like cheddar cheese and mozzarella will melt when heated in the oven, being super stringy when pulling out chips.
- Vegetables: Onions, spring onions and bell peppers are added as the veggies in this recipe. The onions and spring onions adds texture and flavour to the dish. Whilst the red bell peppers add a slight sweet taste.
- Cajun Seasoning: Cajun seasonings provides a lot of flavour to the fries alongside the addition of salt. It’s not just made up of one spice but is a blend of different spices. You can easily make your own Cajun spice mix, see how below.
How To Make Cajun Seasoning Mix
Cajun seasoning is a popular blend of spicy seasonings such as paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano and garlic powder. It’s actually very easy to make yourself but you’ll need quite a few seasonings to make it, it might be easier to buy it readymade. But if you want to make it yourself here’s how:
To make Cajun seasonings mix 3 tablespoons of paprika with 2 tablespoons of garlic powder and salt with 1 tablespoon of black pepper, white pepper, dried oregano, cayenne pepper and onion powder.
My Top Tips
It’s super easy to make dirty fries but my top tips below will make this recipe even easier:
- If you don’t have a lot of time on your hands use oven chips, you can buy frozen French fries as an alternative to making your own from scratch which will require more time.
- If you’re a lover of crispy chips, then it will be better for you to either shallow or deep fry the chips to get crispy edges and even more delicious chips. Frying the chips instead of cooking them in the oven will cut down a lot of time, but it is a more hands-on approach.
- This recipe is best served straight away: hot, melted and fresh. It doesn’t taste as good when reheated, so it’s best to cook this dish when you know you’re going to be eating it shortly after.
How To Make Homemade Dirty Fries
Ready to make some dirty chips? Check out the step-by-step instructions below (full details on the recipe card and video).
Pour the oven fries into a roasting tray and drizzle a tablespoon of oil over the chips. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning over the chips. With your hands, toss the chips around until the oil and seasonings evenly coat the chips. Place the chips in the oven to cook at 180°C (gas mark 4, 350°F) for 20 to 25 minutes or until soft and starting to colour.
While the chips are cooking in the oven, with a sharp knife cut the bacon into small 1cm pieces. Chop the red pepper into small cubes and peel and dice the onion.
With a wok or frying pan add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and stir fry the sliced onions, bell peppers and bacon pieces and cook until the onions start to soften and the bacon is cooked (keep frying if you like them crispy).
When the chips are cooked, reheat the stir fry mixture for 1 to 2 minutes and add the cooked chips and mix together. Add the remaining teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and mix until evenly distributed. Place the mixture in an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with chopped spring onions and top with grated cheese. Cook in the oven until the cheese has melted.
That’s how to make homemade dirty fries, serve immediately and enjoy!
What Can I Serve These Dirty Fries With?
These dirty fries are so good and filling they can be served as a meal on its own, as a quick snack or as a side dish. Regardless of how you have them, serve with lots of dips such as Ketchup or Ranch and cool refreshing drinks. If you want to throw a spread together, here are a few recipes that accompanies loaded fries very well:
- Honey Chilli Chicken
- Chinese Crispy Beef
- Cheese Straws
- Salt And Pepper Chips (for even more chip goodness)
Change The Vegetable: You don’t have to stick with potatoes, have a go at making this recipe with sweet potato fries (they taste just as good in my opinion) or even parsnips and butternut squash. You could make the chips yourself using fresh potatoes cut into small sticks, a potato cutter would be handy in easily cutting your potatoes to the right size effortlessly.
Drizzle With Thin Mayonnaise: If you’re a fan of mayonnaise, mix mayonnaise with a just a bit of milk to make thin mayonnaise to drizzle all over your chips. I LOVE garlic sauce, so I do drizzle some of that on top.
Changing The Toppings: Go crazy with your toppings, you can never have too much! You can add multiple types of cheeses, pulled pork, mince and so much more. Trust me, there’s always room for more toppings.
Storage, Reheating & Calories
How many calories are in these dirty fries? There are 384 calories per serving of dirty fries in this recipe. You can find more nutritional information on the recipe card. The nutritional information is automatically calculated and should be used as an approximation.
How long can you keep these dirty chips in the fridge for? These chips taste best freshly made! It’s best to eat them straightaway, but if you have leftovers keep in the fridge for no more than a day or 2.
How do I reheat dirty fries? To reheat from chilled simply put the chips in a microwave-proof container with a loosely fitted lid and heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until hot throughout.
Homemade Dirty Fries Recipe
- 300 g Oven Chips
- 4 Streaky Bacon
- 2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
- 70 g Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Spring Onions
- 1 Onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- Pour the oven fries into a roasting tray and drizzle a tablespoon of oil over the chips. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning over the chips. With your hands, toss the chips around until the oil and seasonings evenly coat the chips.
- Place the chips in the oven to cook at 180°C (gas mark 4, 350°F) for 20 to 25 minutes or until soft and starting to colour.
- While the chips are cooking in the oven, with a sharp knife cut the bacon into small 1cm pieces. Chop the red pepper into small cubes and peel and dice the onion.
- With a wok or frying pan add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and stir fry the sliced onions, bell peppers and bacon pieces and cook until the onions start to soften and the bacon is cooked (keep frying if you like them crispy).
- When the chips are cooked, reheat the stir fry mixture for 1 to 2 minutes and add the cooked chips and mix together. Add the remaining teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and mix until evenly distributed.
- Place the mixture in an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with chopped spring onions and top with grated cheese. Cook in the oven until the cheese has melted.
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY
Wendy Lynne Dunne
Great recipe, I’m doing these later, satisfying meal for all the family…
Thanks Wendy 😊
It’s my first time making dirty fries and they were very easy to make. The whole family loved it.
I love these homemade dirty fries! They are so easy and so delicious. I can’t wait to make them again.
Thank you, I’m glad you like the recipe!