Beef In Oyster Sauce With Ginger And Spring Onion
Chinese takeaway beef with ginger and spring onion… what more could you ask for?
Craving a Chinese takeaway? This beef stir fry with ginger and spring onion is exactly what you need.
It’s incredibly tasty, easy and made with simple ingredients. Oyster sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil are the main ingredients which create the succulent stir fry sauce.
This dish has many names, you may know it as ‘beef in oyster sauce’ or ‘beef with ginger and spring onion’. No matter what you call it, I’m sure everyone will agree that this is one tasty dish.
Why You’ll Like This Recipe
- Super simple to make and ready in less than 15 minutes.
- Get that WOK HEI flavour! (the extra flavour that comes from cooking food in a hot wok).
- The taste is incredible and it goes well with noodles and rice.
- This stir-fried beef in oyster sauce is packed with umami flavour.
Watch How To Make It
Beef In Oyster Sauce
This recipe is known for its 3 main ingredients: beef, spring onions and ginger but the oyster sauce mixture that coats the beef tastes amazing! My highlight of the dish.
It’s saucy, savoury, salty and everything you’ll ever want in a Chinese fakeaway. It’s not just made with oyster sauce, the stir-fried beef sauce includes Shaoxing cooking wine and other staples for an incredible taste.
Beef With Ginger And Spring Onions Recipe Ingredients
Below are the ingredients needed for this recipe:
- Beef: Use tenderloin, sirloin, ribeye, or rump steak. They’re tender cuts of beef which is perfect for this dish.
- Spring Onions: Also called scallion; it adds an aromatic flavour.
- Ginger: Adds warmth and a subtle sweet taste.
- Beef Marinade: Light soy sauce, sugar, cornflour and white pepper are mixed into the beef and left to marinate for at least 5 minutes.
- Stir Fry Sauce: The sauce that coats the beef is made from a mixture of oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, Shaoxing cooking wine, cornflour, water, sesame oil and sugar.
Marinating The Beef
Do not skip marinating the beef, it is so important! It improves the flavour of the beef and tenderises it.
Leave the beef to marinate for at least 5 minutes to absorb the flavours in the marinade. If you have time on your hands, you can leave the beef to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
How To Cut The Beef
Slice the beef steak into thin slices against the grain. When you cut meat against the grain, you’re shortening the muscle fibres which promotes tender meat.
To do this, look for parallel lines of muscle fibre running down the beef and slice perpendicular (at a 90-degree angle) from it.
Meat sliced with the grain will have a tougher and chewy texture.
How Do You Make Stir-Fry Beef So It’s Tender?
Marinating the beef with baking powder helps to tenderise the beef. You can add half a teaspoon of baking powder to the beef marinade and leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
Cutting against the grain is one of the easiest ways to get smooth and tender pieces of meat.
How To Make Beef With Ginger And Spring Onion
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make beef with ginger and spring onion. Full recipe instructions are on the recipe card.
Slice the beef into thin slices against the grain and place into a mixing bowl. Add the marinating ingredients (light soy sauce, sugar, cornflour and white pepper) to the beef and mix until evenly distributed.
Set the meat aside for later use.
In a small mixing bowl, mix the sauce ingredients together (oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, Shaoxing cooking wine, cornflour, water, sesame oil and sugar). Set aside for later use.
Heat a large wok on a high heat. Add oil followed by the marinated beef and stir fry until 80% cooked. The beef should be mostly brown but not fully cooked through.
Add sliced ginger and spring onions to the wok and continue to stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
Pour the previously made stir fry sauce over the beef, ginger and spring onions and continue to stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens and is glossy.
Sprinkle with red chillies (optional).
How To Store Beef With Ginger And Spring Onions
Store the cooked beef in an airtight container and store in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.
If you’re keeping this dish for longer, then you’re better off freezing it. To freeze, allow the beef to cool down before transferring to a freezer-safe airtight container. Place in the freezer and keep for up to 3 months.
My Top Tips
Don’t skip adding cornflour to the beef marinade, this helps with velveting the meat. Velveting essentially makes the beef soft and moist. You can even add half a teaspoon of baking powder to aid this process.
This beef in oyster sauce is so tasty with ginger and spring onions but you can also switch the vegetables you use in this recipe. I love making this dish with pak choi, it’s a must try!
If you’re making this for friends and family, garnish with sliced red chillies to make this dish even more eye-catching.
If you’re using a wok to make this recipe, use a carbon steel wok as this is the best option opposed to non-stick type woks.
What To Serve Beef In Oyster Sauce With
This dish is so tasty, paired with these dishes below is a meal guaranteed to blow everyone’s mind.
Starting with rice dishes, this king prawn fried rice or Singapore fried rice will match well with this beef in oyster sauce recipe.
Feeling for noodles, below are easy Chinese fakeaway noodle dishes:
Beef With Ginger And Spring Onion
- 300 g Beef
- Thumb-sized Ginger Thinly Sliced
- 2 Spring Onions Chopped
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cornflour
- ½ tsp White Pepper
- 3 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing Cooking Wine
- 1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Cornflour
- Slice the beef into thin slices against the grain and place into a mixing bowl.
- Add the marinating ingredients (light soy sauce, sugar, cornflour and white pepper) to the beef and mix until evenly distributed. Set the meat aside for later use.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the sauce ingredients together (oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, Shaoxing cooking wine, cornflour, water, sesame oil and sugar). Set aside for later use.
- Heat a large wok on a high heat. Add oil followed by the marinated beef and stir fry until 80% cooked. The beef should be mostly brown but not fully cooked through.
- Add sliced ginger and spring onions to the wok and continue to stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the previously made stir fry sauce over the beef, ginger and spring onions and continue to stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens and is glossy.
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY
Leave a Reply