Orange Hot Chocolate Recipe
Terry’s chocolate orange hot chocolate, just when you thought life couldn’t get any better! This recipe is ready in 5 minutes and can be made in one single mug!
Velvety smooth homemade hot chocolate made with Terry’s chocolate orange segments, this drink on a cold winter’s day is a recipe for relaxation.
I can’t think of anything better! It’s creamy, bursting with chocolate orange flavour and adds an extra layer of indulgence to this decadent hot chocolate drink. Oh, and the smell is incredible!
This drink comes with a warning, it will leave you wanting more and more! The combination of hot chocolate with Terry’s chocolate orange is a flavour combo that will blow your mind.
Orange Hot Chocolate
Winter is made for hot chocolate, and I can’t survive the cold weather without one (or two)! It warms you up and provides the ultimate level of coziness.
One of my favourite hot drinks is my thick Biscoff hot chocolate and this Terry’s chocolate orange hot chocolate. It’s the perfect level of orange, chocolate and sweetness.
Plus, it’s perfect for Christmas! After all, it’s hard to go by the festive season without receiving a box of Terry’s chocolate orange. Making this hot chocolate drink is the perfect way to use it up.
Why You’ll Like This Recipe
- If you love Costa’s Terry’s chocolate orange hot chocolate, then you love this recipe too! It’s a simple drink that you can make in the comfort of your own home and it’s a lot cheaper.
- It’s ready in 5 minutes, so you can satisfy your chocolate cravings quickly.
- The smell is just amazing, and the taste has a rich chocolate orange flavour to it.
- Chocolate orange in a hot chocolate, should I say anymore!
Watch How To Make It
Options Orange Hot Chocolate
Options hot chocolate have a chocolate orange powder flavour!
They’re my favourite hot chocolate brand and help create an easy chocolate orange flavour. Adding this to Terry’s chocolate orange will create an intense flavour.
Below are the few ingredients needed for this recipe:
- Milk: Use full-fat milk for a creamy hot chocolate. You can use other milk types like semi-skinned milk or even plant-based milk alternatives.
- Terry’s Chocolate Orange: I used the classic Terry’s chocolate orange for this hot chocolate recipe. You can use alternative orange flavoured chocolate brands.
- Orange Extract (Optional): Add orange extract for a strong orange flavour. If you’re using plain chocolate, you can add orange extract to create a chocolate orange taste.
How To Make Chocolate Orange Hot Chocolate
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make orange hot chocolate with Terry’s chocolate orange. Full recipe instructions are on the recipe card.
Break the chocolate orange into small pieces then set aside for later use.
Pour milk into a pan and heat on a medium to high heat. Stir the milk occasionally, when the milk starts to steam, remove the pan from the heat.
Add the chocolate pieces and orange extract (optional) to the pan and whisk until dissolved into the milk.
Place the pan back on the heat until the mixture starts to steam and bubble.
Pour the orange hot chocolate into your mug, add your favourite toppings and enjoy!
I added whipped cream and pieces of Terry’s chocolate orange.
Hot Chocolate Toppings
The best part about hot chocolate is the toppings, it adds extra flavour and makes any drink so indulgent. Below are a few topping ideas you can top your own drinks with:
- Whipped cream
- Mini marshmallows
- Chocolate chips
- Grated chocolate orange
- Candy canes
My Top Tips
This recipe is enough to serve one person, if you want to make enough for two people you can double up (or triple up) the ingredients!
There’s no added sugar in this recipe because the chocolate orange is quite sweet already. Try the recipe first before adding sugar to it!
Make this drink in the microwave to reduce the amount of washing up! Pour the milk into a microwavable cup and heat in the microwave on a medium to high heat until it starts to bubble. Then add chocolate, orange extract (optional) and mix. Serve and enjoy.
Love Chocolate Orange?
Who doesn’t love chocolate orange, especially Terry’s chocolate orange? It’s everywhere at Christmas but can also be eaten throughout the year.
If you’re looking for more chocolate orange recipes, check out these delicious recipes below:
- Terry’s Chocolate Orange Cake
- Terry’s Chocolate Orange Mousse
- Chocolate Orange Fudge
- Chocolate Orange NYC cookies
I love adding extra ingredients like peanut butter or snickers to my hot chocolate – the taste is insane! Below are a few substitutions you can make to this recipe:
White And Dark Chocolate Orange
I mostly use Terry’s milk chocolate orange, but you can also use their white chocolate orange or dark chocolate version too.
Using white chocolate orange will make this hot chocolate really sweet! Try the hot chocolate first before adding extra sugar.
If you don’t like hot chocolates that are too sweet, use their dark chocolate orange instead of milk. Bear in mind that their dark chocolate orange is quite lite.
Pure Orange Hot Chocolate
You don’t have to add pieces of chocolate to this recipe to make orange flavoured hot chocolate. You can use natural ingredients like orange extract or orange peel.
Simply add a large strip of orange peel to the milk and heat in a pan until it starts to steam. Then add cocoa power, mix and remove the orange peel. Pour the hot chocolate into a cup and enjoy. You can keep the orange peel in for a stronger infused flavour.
You can add a quarter teaspoon of orange extract with or without a strip of orange peel. Whisk with cocoa power or hot chocolate powder and enjoy!
How To Make Hot Chocolate Ahead & Reheat
To make ahead, store the hot chocolate in an airtight container or glass jar and keep in the fridge for up to 2 days. You may find a few pieces of chocolate have solidified in the fridge (this will melt again once reheated).
When you’re ready, reheat the hot chocolate in the microwave until hot or over the stove. Stir occasionally whilst reheating, then pour into your mug and enjoy!
How To Make This Recipe Vegan
The good news, you can make this amazing orange hot chocolate vegan! The bad news, Terry’s chocolate orange isn’t vegan – but not to worry!
Use can use vegan chocolate and add a quarter teaspoon of orange extract. Another alternative is to mix cocoa powder with orange extract to recreate the chocolate orange flavour. But the best option would be to buy vegan chocolate orange like this one.
Use non-dairy milk instead of full fat cow’s milk, it might not be as thick and creamy but it will still taste great.
What To Serve With Hot Chocolate
There’s nothing like sipping hot chocolate with freshly baked cookies and cakes! Below are some tasty recipes you can serve hot chocolate with:
- Homemade Mince Pies!!
- Triple Chocolate NYC Cookies
- Soft Cinnamon Cookies
- Biscoff Banana Bread
- Buttercream sandwiched Oat Biscuits
- Fork Biscuits
- Coffee Kisses
- Chocolate Concrete
- Sponge Cake
Terry’s Chocolate Orange Hot Chocolate
- 250 ml Milk (One Cup)
- 50 g Terry's Chocolate Orange (Approximately 6 Segments)
- ¼ tsp Orange Extract (Optional)
- Whipped Cream
- Grated Chocolate Orange
- Break the chocolate orange into small pieces then set aside for later use.
- Pour milk into a pan and heat on a medium to high heat. Stir the milk occasionally, when the milk starts to steam, remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the chocolate pieces and orange extract (optional) to the pan and whisk until dissolved into the milk.
- Place the pan back on the heat until the mixture starts to steam and bubble.
- Pour the orange hot chocolate into your mug, add your favourite toppings and enjoy!
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY
Leave a Reply