How To Make Salt And Chilli Chicken Takeaway Style Recipe
Deliciously crispy salt and chilli chicken! Tender chicken breast lightly battered, fried till crispy and tossed with chillies and a tasty Chinese spice mix.
Salt and chilli chicken is one of many Chinese takeaway meals that are really popular here in the UK. It’s perfect as a quick and tasty snack, served in a wrap or with rice. However you choose to eat this, you’re definitely in for a treat. This salted chilli chicken recipe is both addictive and moreish, once you’ve started eating this it’s hard to stop! I’m speaking from experience.
Though you can find this meal in many Chinese restaurants, you can also make it at home easily. I find salt and chilli chicken to have the perfect blend of flavours: garlic, red chillies, salt, green peppers and spring onions all come together for a flavour explosion and a colourful fakeaway meal. This right here is a must-try recipe.
Watch How To Make It
After making salt and pepper chicken, I realised that making salt and chilli chicken is very very very similar. The main difference is that an egg is used in this recipe to coat the chicken before being dunked into cornflour, which provides the crispy coating. My family love this recipe and can’t get enough of it, when I told them how to make it they were shocked. Chinese fakeaway recipes are actually quite easy to replicate yourself at home.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are so many reasons why you’ll fall in love with this recipe, the taste is just one! Below are a few more reasons why this recipe is so popular:
- Salt and chilli chicken is great for snacks, meals, party finger food and even appetizers and starters. It’s a an all-round type of dish that can suit all occasions.
- Juicy and tender chicken is coated in a light crispy outer coating; it’s delicious to bite into and is so satisfying.
- It’s a super simple quick meal to make at home, it only takes 35 minutes in total including prep time!
- Salt n chilli chicken is far from a standard boring meal, this Chinese takeaway fakeaway is packed with flavour and is a reliable crowd-pleaser.
Below are the main ingredients you need to make this recipe, the amount of chillies and spices you use is completely up to your taste. You can customise the ingredients used such as the salt and chilli to suit your preference.
- Chicken Breast: I used chicken breast diced into medium bite-sized chunks (some pieces where a little bigger), though you can cut the chicken into strips if you like. I like to use chicken breasts for these types of recipes but chicken thighs are also a great alternative. The chicken is marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil and white pepper before being coated in whisked egg.
- Cornflour: This salt and chilli chicken recipe is crispy because each chicken piece is coated in cornflour after being mixed into egg. Cornflour provides a thin crispy layer which coats each chicken piece.
- Vegetables: Garlic, spring onions, green bell peppers, red chillies and an onion are the vegetables used in this dish.
Salt And Chilli Seasoning Mix
This salt and chilli spice mix is made up of black pepper, Chinese 5 spice and salt. 3 simple seasonings that create a delicious flavour combination. You can use it beyond making salt and chilli recipes, it can be used to season various other meats such as chicken wings and ribs. Some Chinese restaurants add a little bit of sugar into the salt and chilli spice mix, adding sweetness into the dish.
Salt And Pepper Chips and Salt And Pepper Chicken are recipe which also use this Chinese salt and chilli spice mix.
If you don’t have Chinese 5 spice, check out this list of Chinese 5 Spice Substitutes.
How To Make Salt And Chilli Chicken
Ready to make this Chinese fakeaway recipe? Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make salted chilli chicken, full instructions are on the recipe card at the bottom.
Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and place in a mixing bowl. Cut your vegetables and leave aside for later. Add dark soy sauce, white pepper and sesame oil into the mixing bowl and mix with the chicken until evenly distributed.
Whisk two eggs and pour into the bowl, mix until all chicken pieces are coated in the egg.
In a separate small mixing bowl, mix together salt, black pepper and Chinese 5 spice. Set aside for later.
Take each piece of chicken and toss into cornflour. Make sure each side of the chicken piece is coated in cornflour.
Tip: Set aside extra cornflour in case you need a little bit more to coat all chicken pieces.
Deep fry the chicken pieces on a medium to high heat for around 3 minutes or until cooked and the outside is golden brown and crispy.
Tip: Make sure the oil is hot before frying the chicken, you can add a small piece of chicken into the oil to test. If bubbles start to form rapidly, then the oil is hot enough for frying.
In a clean wok or pan, drizzle a small amount of oil on a medium to high heat and fry the garlic for a few seconds before adding the onions, green bell peppers and chillies. Mix for around 2 minutes.
Tip: Take the seeds out of the chillies if you don’t like to much heat.
Add the crispy fried chicken into the wok and mix with the vegetables, then add the salt and chilli spice mix made earlier followed by a handful of spring onions, mix together for 1 minute.
What To Serve With Salt And Chilli Chicken
You can serve salt and chilli chicken with white basmati rice or delicious noodles. My biggest tip is to put the chicken is wraps, oh they taste so good! I like to fill them with lettuce and garlic sauce – yum. If you want to serve it with rice but not plain rice then, Singapore fried rice is a great alternative.
More Delicious Crispy Recipes
Check out more popular Chinese fakeaway recipes below:
- Sweet And Sour Prawns Balls
- Sweet And Sour Chicken Balls
- Honey Chilli Crispy Beef
- Sweet And Sour King Prawns
- KFC Style Chicken Burgers
- Southern Fried Chicken Wraps
Crispy Salt And Chilli Chicken Recipe
- 650 g Chicken Breast
- 2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp White Pepper
Salt And Chilli Spice Mix
- ½ tbsp Salt
- ½ tbsp Black Pepper
- ½ tbsp Chinese 5 Spice
Rest Of The Ingredients
- 2 Eggs
- 150 g Cornflour Corn-starch
- 1 Onion
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 2 Red Chillies
- 3 Spring Onions
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and place in a mixing bowl. Cut your vegetables and leave aside for later.
- Add dark soy sauce, white pepper and sesame oil into the mixing bowl and mix with the chicken until evenly distributed.
- Whisk two eggs and pour into the bowl, mix until all chicken pieces are coated in the egg.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, mix together salt, black pepper and Chinese 5 spice. Set aside for later.
- Take each piece of chicken and toss into cornflour. Make sure each side of the chicken piece is coated in cornflour.
- Deep fry the chicken pieces on a medium to high heat for around 3 minutes or until cooked and the outside is golden brown and crispy.
- In a clean wok or pan, drizzle a small amount of oil on a medium to high heat and fry the garlic for a few seconds before adding the onions, green bell peppers and chillies. Mix for around 2 minutes.
- Add the crispy fried chicken into the wok and mix with the vegetables, then add the salt and chilli spice mix made earlier followed by a handful of spring onions, mix together for 1 minute.
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY
Leave a Reply