Easy Cinnamon Swirls Recipe Using Puff Pastry
Flaky, buttery and just so cinnamony; when I say these cinnamon swirls are delicious, I really do mean it! This sweet pastry makes the perfect breakfast and snack you can make in only 30 minutes. Learn how to make delicious cheat’s cinnamon swirls with this easy and simple recipe!
I just can’t seem to get enough of these puff pastry cinnamon swirls. So satisfying, they make a delicious start to the day. Whenever I pop down to my local supermarket it’s almost guaranteed that I pick up a Danish cinnamon swirl to enjoy with a cup of coffee. But now, I make my own from scratch with this recipe and you can too; this cheat cinnamon swirl recipe is perfect for all the lazy bakers out there!
I’m not kidding when I say that this is the easiest cinnamon swirls recipe ever! If you want to cut down the time taken to make and prove the dough, then this recipe is perfect for you. Using readymade puff pastry is the secret to why this recipe only takes 30 minutes to make. Puff pastry cinnamon swirls (also called cinnamon twirls) are the best alternative to cinnamon rolls as by using puff pastry, it makes this recipe super easy, quick and so flaky.
Whether you want to make this as an easy weekend breakfast, to impress your friends and family at brunch or to relax with a sweet pastry at home. This easy cinnamon swirls recipe using ready-made puff pastry is the best choice.
What Are Cinnamon Swirls?
Cinnamon swirls are made from puff pastry which is covered in a mixture of cinnamon, butter and brown sugar. It is then rolled into a log and cut into small circles. They can be coated with an egg wash before being baked in the oven. Once baked, they are usually drizzled over with icing sugar.
They taste like cinnamon and are sweet and buttery. Puff pastry cinnamon rolls have a flaky and slightly crunchy texture due to the ready-made puff pastry used.
Cinnamon Swirl Ingredients
You only need 4 ingredients to make these easy cinnamon swirls and twirls using puff pastry.
- Puff Pastry: A sheet of pastry which is so buttery, light and flaky once baked. Puff pastry is made by alternating layers of butter and pastry. It’s widely available and can be found in the fridge section of many supermarkets.
- Cinnamon: Provides the delicious cinnamon taste and is the star of the filling mixture.
- Butter: Part of the filling mixture, the butter helps to create the delicious gooey and caramelised filling. A great tip is to use butter at room temperature. This will help when you’re mixing the filling together, it will be a lot easier to mix then butter straight from the fridge.
- Brown Sugar: I used light brown muscovado sugar, it creates a deep flavour and caramelises when baked in the oven.
A signature cinnamon swirl is topped off with icing drizzled across in a diagonal angle. All you need is two basic ingredients: icing sugar and water. You’ll want your icing to be of a runny consistency yet slightly thick. You can check by mixing a spoon in the icing mixture then holding it up. It should drizzle back down into the bowl and hold its shape briefly before blending with the rest of the icing.
If the thickness is too runny, add more icing and if your icing is to thick add more water. 2 tbsp of icing sugar and 1 tbsp of water should do the trick.
How To Make Easy Cinnamon Swirls
You can make this cinnamon swirl recipe in 5 easy steps mentioned below. The directions are fairly simple and can be done in just 30 minutes.
Preheat your oven to gas mark 4/180°C/350°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Usually, the ready-made puff pastry will come rolled into parchment paper already. If that’s true for you, then you can use the parchment paper that came with the pastry.
In a mixing bowl, mix the butter, light brown sugar and cinnamon together with a spoon until combined.
Unroll the ready-made puff pastry and spread the cinnamon, butter and light brown sugar mixture evenly over all the pastry leaving a small 1cm gap around the surface. Roll your pastry like a swiss roll.
How Do You Roll A Cinnamon Swirl?
To create medium-sized cinnamon swirls instead of mini ones. Gently roll the pastry from the shortest length and lightly press the cinnamon swirl roll into place. By rolling the cinnamon roll this way instead of rolling at the widest length, your cinnamon twirls will have more rolls and therefore more of a contrasting spiral.
With a sharp knife or a piece of string, cut the pastry approximately 2cm long. Place them on the baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Leave space in-between each cinnamon swirl as they do expand in the oven whilst baking.
Once baked, it’s time to make the icing! In a small bowl, mix the icing sugar and water together until well combined. Using a spoon or a piping bag, drizzle the icing over each homemade cinnamon swirl in a diagonal motion from top to bottom.
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
There are so many delicious desserts, treats and savoury snacks you can make with ready-made puff pastry, like these ideas below:
- Nutella Puff Pastry Twists: Tastes as good as it sounds! Fill your puff pastry sheet with Nutella and bake in the oven for a delicious chocolatey dessert. This variation is also perfect for Valentine’s day as it can made in a beautiful heart shape.
- Cheese Straws: Puff pastry filled with cheese and twisted into long spiral straws. The perfect savoury snack that you can make in no time!
- Cinnamon Rolls: Cinnamon rolls have the same filling but is made in a yeasted dough. It’s soft, gooey, fluffy and tasty. This recipe takes longer to make but is so impressive.
- Puff Pastry Cinnamon Twists: Keep the delicious ingredients and just change the shape of each cinnamon swirl. To do this, after spreading the cinnamon mixture over the puff pastry sheet. Fold the puff pastry sheet in half and cut into 1.5 cm strips. Pinch the two opposite ends of one strip and twist in the opposite direction 3-4 times and place on a baking try lined with parchment paper. Repeat for all pastry strips. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until flaky and golden brown.
You can also try this delicious yum yum recipe!
How To Store Cinnamon Swirls
Store cinnamon swirls in air-tight container and keep at room temperature in a dry space. Cinnamon swirls are best eaten freshly baked but can last for 2-3 days.
Can You Freeze Cinnamon Swirls?
Yes! To freeze them before baking: after you have rolled your puff pastry with the cinnamon filling inside. You can either freeze the pastry as a log or freeze the pastries cut into 2cm sections. Place in a freezer safe bag, a container or wrapped in cling-film for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat them continue with the recipe and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until fully baked and golden brown.
To freeze the cinnamon swirls after baking them: Once baked, allow the cinnamon swirls to cool down completely. Take the baking tray with the cinnamon swirls and place them in the freezer until frozen. Once frozen, you can place them in individual freezer bags or in one freezer bag for a month. When you’re ready to eat them reheat them in the oven at gas mark 4/180°C/350°F until warmed thoroughly throughout.
To make cinnamon swirls in advance: You can make cinnamon swirls ahead of time! Follow the recipe and store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Eat them as they are when you are ready or you can heat them in the oven to gently warm them up.
How Long Do You Cook Puff Pastry?
Cook the puff pastry in the oven at gas mark 4, 180°C or 350°F in the oven for 20 minutes or until slightly golden brown. The pastry will become puffed up and flaky in texture.
Ready to make your own cinnamon swirls with puff pastry? Check out the recipe card below to find a cinnamon swirls recipe UK, you’ll have whirl of a time!
Key Tools Used
Puff Pastry Cinnamon Swirls
Icing Sugar (Optional)
- 2 tbsp Icing Sugar
- 1 tbsp Water
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 4/180°C/350°F
- In a mixing bowl, mix the butter, light brown sugar and cinnamon together with a spoon until combined.
- Unroll the ready-made puff pastry and spread the cinnamon, butter and light brown sugar mixture evenly over all the pastry leaving a small 1cm gap around the surface. Roll your pastry like a swiss roll.
- With a sharp knife or a piece of string, cut the pastry approximately 2cm long.
- Place them on the baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Leave space in-between each cinnamon swirl as they do expand in the oven whilst baking.
- In a small bowl, mix the icing sugar and water together until well combined. Using a spoon or a piping bag, drizzle the icing over each homemade cinnamon swirl in a diagonal motion from top to bottom.
That’s how to make puff pastry cinnamon rolls, hope you enjoy!
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY