Easy Nutella Puff Pastry Twists Recipe – A 3 Ingredient Valentine’s Day Dessert
Whether you call these Nutella puff pastry twists or Nutella puff pastry swirls. I’m sure we’ll all agree that Nutella with puff pastry in a heart shape, makes a cute and tasty dessert for Valentine’s Day or any occasion.
If you’ve never tried chocolate Nutella puff pastry twists, you’re going to love the light flaky pastry texture and the delicious taste of chocolate and hazelnut spread. Made in a cute heart shape this delicious recipe is the best valentine’s day dessert. You can’t go wrong with chocolate and puff pastry – Yum.
For me a homemade dessert shouts out I love you more than any purchasable dessert you can buy! If you’re looking for fun things to bake together on a date or want to bake an easy and tasty valentine’s day dessert with Nutella, then you have to give this a try!
This heart shaped Nutella puff pastry twists is super quick to make. It can be made as a weekday pull apart dessert or cheeky breakfast. Easily made with ready-made puff pastry this dessert idea takes only 20 minutes to bake!
There’s no need to make your puff pastry from scratch, though you can if you want too! I’ve always loved the process of making my own puff pastry, but nothing comes more handy than using a ready-made one. It saves so much time, you literally just have to unroll your pastry, spread delicious Nutella and twist – super simple and super easy.
Nutella Puff Pastry Twists Ingredients
You only need 3 ingredients to make these easy Nutella puff pastry twists and you may have these ingredients in your house already. All 3 items you can easily get in your local supermarket.
- Nutella: A sweet hazelnut cocoa spread, that will give the puff pastry twists it’s contrasting colour and tasty chocolate flavour.
- Puff Pastry: Gives this dessert a flaky texture and has a lovely buttery taste. From the refrigerator your puff pastry needs to rest at room temperature for around 10 minutes to thaw. This is to avoid your pastry breaking when unrolling, this will happen if your pastry is too cold.
- Egg Wash: An egg wash makes your pastry golden brown and shiny.
Can You Bake Puff Pastry Without Egg Wash?
Yes you can! You can cut down this dessert to only two ingredients. Though the egg wash provides a beautiful golden brown finish, this is not absolutely necessary. It will still taste great without an egg wash.
How To Make Nutella Puff Pastry Twists
All together this dessert takes 30 minutes to make, that’s 20 minutes in the oven and 10 minutes prep time. Prep time includes making your heart shaped template and getting all your ingredients. Remember your pastry needs to thaw for 10 minutes.
To make the heart template, I folded in half a 25cm x 25cm parchment paper and cut out a heart shape.
Preheat your oven to 200°C (gas mark 6 / 400°F).
Place your heart template on top of your pastry and with a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut around the template. Do this to your other sheet of puff pastry as well.
Place one heart on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. With a palette knife spread the Nutella all over one puff pastry heart and top with the other one.
Make a small indent in the centre of the heart, then make cuts from the edge of the heart almost to the middle. Make them roughly 2.5cm apart and leave the pieces attached in the middle.
Time to twist! Here’s how to roll and twist the puff pastry.
Gently lift one piece and twist clockwise two to three times. Do this to all pieces around your heart. Once done, coat the pastry with an egg wash and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
And you’re done! If you want to sprinkle icing sugar on top wait 10 to 15 minutes for it to cool down first.
- Make it more chocolatey – If you’re a diehard chocolate lover you can sprinkle chocolate chips on the heart shaped puff pastry or grate chocolate on top once baked.
- Chocolate and custard – Feel free to twist this recipe and add chocolate and custard in the filling.
- Change the shape – You don’t have to make this Nutella puff pastry twists in a heart shape as an easy valentine’s day dessert. You can shape it as a Christmas tree, a star or you can keep it simple with straight spiral twists.
- Turn it savoury – If you prefer savoury dishes to sweet dishes then you can experiment and replace the Nutella with cheese like in my savoury cheese twists.
You can also make tasty Nutella blondies!
Easy Nutella Puff Pastry Twists – A Cute Valentine’s Day Dessert
- 2 Sheets Puff Pastry
- 300 g Nutella
- 1 Egg
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (gas mark 6 / 400°F).
- Place your heart template on top of your pastry and with a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut around the template. Do this to your other sheet of puff pastry as well.
- Place one heart on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. With a palette knife spread the Nutella all over one puff pastry heart and top with the other one.
- Make a small indent in the centre of the heart, then make cuts from the edge of the heart almost to the middle. Make them roughly 2.5cm apart and leave the pieces attached in the middle.
- Time to twist! Gently lift one piece and twist clockwise two to three times. Do this to all pieces around your heart. Once done, coat the pastry with an egg wash and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- And you're done! If you want to sprinkle icing sugar on top wait 10 to 15 minutes for it to cool down first.
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments below and tag me on Instagram @MyMorningMocha, I would love to see them! If you’re still in the baking mood, check out the best lemon drizzle cake recipe ever.
For more Food posts, click on the food category on the menu above and browse through. Subscribe to our newsletter below to never miss a recipe!