Easy Peasy Cheese Straws Recipe With Puff Pastry
These easy peasy cheese straws are perfect as a party appetiser, to dip in soup or as a quick snack to munch on. You’re going to love this baked cheese straws recipe: it’s delicious, easy and yummy! With only 4 ingredients, you’ll make this in no time.
If you love cheese, raise your hand!!! These flaky and crispy puff pastry cheese straws are just as tasty as they look. They’re made with cheddar cheese and are baked in the oven for only 20 minutes!
There’s no need to buy readymade cheese sticks anymore because this recipe is so easy, totally beginner friendly and is the best cheese straws recipe ever!
Also known as puff pastry cheese twists, cheese straws are an incredibly tasty finger food and make a great alternative to a boring bag of crisps.
I love having this snack whenever I’m peckish, plus, these baked cheddar cheese straws are a fantastic recipe for lunch boxes too!
What Are Cheese Straws?
Cheese straws are made with puff pastry, cut into thin strips and twisted into straws.
Whether you call them cheese straws or cheese twists the method remains the same. Twisted into long spiral ‘straw-like’ sticks, they mimic the look of straws and are flavoured with delicious cheese.
Watch How To Make It
Which Cheese Is Best To Use?
I love using mature cheddar cheese when making cheese straws, it provides the best flavour and I always have some around! If you like strong cheese flavours, then you can go for extra mature cheddar cheese or mild cheddar for less of an intense taste.
Of course, you can make homemade cheese straws using an entirely different cheese. Parmesan, Red Leicester and Gouda are all great hard cheeses to try.
What Is The Best Puff Pastry To Buy?
I like to use this pastry from Jus Rol. Make sure the readymade pastry you use is pre-rolled for the perfect even texture.
Below are four simple ingredients needed to make cheese straws:
- Puff pastry – This recipe uses readymade puff pastry, perfectly buttery, flaky and crispy.
- Cheddar cheese – Classic yummy cheddar cheese filling.
- Egg – For the egg wash, simply beat the egg and brush it over the pastry.
- Black pepper – For a little extra depth and flavour.
How To Make Puff Pastry Cheese Straws (Cheese Twists)
Making cheese straws are quite simple and easy yet look very impressive! You don’t even have to make your own puff pastry, using ready-made puff pastry cuts time and guarantees perfection.
It’s really important that you leave your puff pastry to thaw for about 10 minutes before you start. Simply take it out the fridge and leave to rest at room temperature.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make cheese twists with puff pastry. Full recipe instructions are on the recipe card.
Makes 16 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Preheat your oven to 190°C (170°Fan) / gas mark 5 / 375°F
Unroll the puff pastry and sprinkle cheddar cheese and black pepper on one half of the unrolled puff pastry sheet.
Fold your pastry over and gently press down with a rolling pin (or your hands).
Cut the cheese filled pastry into 1.5cm apart strips. Once cut, pinch the two opposite ends of one strip and twist in the opposite direction 3-4 times and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat for all pastry strips.
Coat each pastry cheese strip with an egg wash and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
What Do You Serve Cheese Straws With?
Wondering what goes with yummy cheese straws? Well, the list is endless; below are a few ideas that also go well with breadsticks:
- Smoked Salmon Pate
- Tuna Pate
- Caramelised Red Onion Chutney
- Creamy Garlic Dip
- Nibbles like celery sticks and nuts
- Chicken Mayo Sandwiches
Can You Freeze Cheese Straws?
Yes, you can freeze them! Which is why they make great meal prep freezer snacks. You’ll have to freeze them before you cook them.
Once the puff pastry is filled with cheese, sliced and twisted, simply cover them with another layer of parchment paper. Put them in the freezer for around 3 to 4 hours or until hard and firm. Once firm, place them in a freezer safe bag or container. All you have to do when you’re ready is take them out of the freezer and bake!
Cheese Twist Variations
There are lots of ways that you can experiment with this cheese twists recipe.
- Cheese – You can replace the cheddar cheese with another type of cheese like parmesan or mozzarella. You could try a combination of your favourite cheeses.
- Add More Filling – You can add bacon strips to this recipe or spread some pesto or mustard over the pastry. Instead of black pepper you can try oregano.
- Change the size to change the texture! – If you’ve ever wondered ‘why are my cheese straws not crispy?’, have you ever tried changing the size? The thinner the strips you cut the crisper they become. If you want your cheese straws less crispy then increase the size.
My Top Tips
Don’t skip egg washing the pastry before you place it into the oven. Egg washing creates a beautifully golden brown and shiny appearance which makes the cheese twists look so tasty.
The longer you bake the pastry the crispier they become. If you like soft cheese straws, then bake until starting to brown. If you like your cheese twists really crispy, then bake until golden brown and the pastry texture is very flaky.
I like to use a pizza cutter when slicing strips from the pastry, it makes the process so much easier and creates straight and clean-cut lines. You can use a knife too, but make sure it’s sharp to avoid tugging the pastry and stretching it out.
The cheese twists in this recipe are quite long, if you want to make them smaller or into bite-sized pieces it’s quite simple. Once the pastry is twisted, use a sharp knife to cut the pastry into smaller sizes, egg wash the pastry then bake in the oven.
How Long Do Homemade Cheese Straws Last?
It’s best to keep puff pastry cheese twists for no longer than 2 days. Once cooled down, place the straws in an air-tight container and store them at room temperature.
More Puff Pastry & Cheesy Recipes
Have left over pastry? Why not make these delicious recipes below:
- Pizza Rolls
- Mini Sausage Rolls
- Cheese Scones
- Nutella puff pastry twists
- Easy Cinnamon swirls
- Giant Sausage Roll
Quick & Easy Cheese Straws Recipe
- 375 g Puff Pastry
- 200 g Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 190°C (170°Fan) / gas mark 5 / 375°F
- Unroll the puff pastry and sprinkle cheddar cheese and black pepper on one half of the unrolled puff pastry sheet.
- Fold your pastry over and gently press down with a rolling pin (or your hands).
- Cut the cheese filled pastry into 1.5cm apart strips. Once cut, pinch the two opposite ends of one strip and twist in the opposite direction 3-4 times and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat for all pastry strips.
- Coat each pastry cheese strip with an egg wash and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
Have you tried this best cheese straw recipe ever? Let me know in the comments below and tag me on Instagram @MyMorningMocha, I would love to see it!
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY