Easy Peasy Cheese Straws Recipe With Puff Pastry
These easy peasy cheese straws are perfect as a party appetizer, to dip in soup or as a quick snack to munch on. You’re going to love this baked cheese straws recipe: it’s delicious, easy, and yummy! With only 4 ingredients, you’ll make this in no time.
If you love cheese raise your hand!!! These flaky and crispy puff pastry cheese straws are just as tasty as they look. They’re made with cheddar cheese and are baked in the oven for only 20 minutes! There’ll be no need to buy readymade cheese sticks anymore because this recipe is so easy – totally beginner friendly and is the best cheese straws recipe ever!
Also known as puff pastry cheese twists or sticks, cheese straws are incredibly tasty finger food and make a great replacement to a boring bag of crisps. I love to have this as a snack whenever I’m peckish, plus these baked cheddar cheese straws are a fantastic recipe for lunch boxes too!
What Are Cheese Straws?
Cheese straws are made with puff pastry, cut into thin strips and twisted into straws. Whether you call them cheese straws or cheese twists the method remains the same. Twisted into long spiral ‘straw-like’ sticks, they mimic the look of straws and are flavoured with delicious cheese.
Can You Freeze Cheese Straws?
Yes, you can freeze them! Which is why they make great meal prep freezer snacks. You’ll have to freeze them before you cook them.
Once you’re puff pastry is filled with cheese, sliced and twisted, simply cover them with another layer of parchment paper. Put them in the freezer for around 3 to 4 hours or until hard and firm. Once firm place them in a freezer safe bag or container. All you have to do when you’re ready is take them out the freezer and bake!
- Puff pastry – This recipe uses readymade puff pastry, perfectly buttery, flaky and crispy.
- Cheddar cheese – Classic yummy cheddar cheese filling.
- Egg – For the egg wash, simply beat the egg and brush it over the pastry.
- Black pepper – For a little extra depth and flavour.
How To Make Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
Making these yummy cheese straws are quite simple and easy yet looks very impressive! You don’t even have to make your own puff pastry, using ready-made puff pastry cuts time and guarantees perfection.
It’s really important that you leave your puff pastry to thaw for about 10 minutes before you start. Simply take it out the fridge and leave to rest at room temperature.
Makes 10 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Preheat your oven to 190°C / gas mark 5 / 375°F
Unroll your puff pastry and sprinkle the cheddar cheese and black pepper on one half of the unrolled puff pastry sheet.
Fold your pastry over and gently press down with a rolling pin.
Cut the cheese filled pastry into 1.5cm apart strips. Once cut, pinch the two opposite ends of one strip and twist in the opposite direction 3-4 times and place on a baking try lined with parchment paper. Repeat for all pastry strips.
Coat each pastry cheese strips with an egg wash and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
What do you serve cheese straws with?
Wondering what goes with yummy cheese straws? Well, the list is endless; below are a few ideas that also go well with breadsticks:
- Fruit preserves
- Nibbles like celery sticks and nuts
There are lots of ways that you can experiment with this recipe.
- Cheese – You can replace the cheddar cheese with another type of cheese like parmesan or mozzarella. You could try a combination of your favourite cheeses.
- Add More Filling – You can add bacon strips to this recipe or spread some pesto or mustard over the pastry. Instead of black pepper you can try oregano.
- Change the size to change the texture! – If you’ve ever wondered ‘why are my cheese straws not crispy?’, have you ever tried changing the size? The thinner the strips you cut the crisper they’re. If you want your cheese straws less crispy then increase the size.
What Is The Best Puff Pastry To Buy?
I like to use this pastry from Just Rol.
How Long Do Homemade Cheese Straws Last?
It’s best to keep the puff pastry cheese sticks for no longer than 2 days. Once cooled down, place the straws in an air-tight container and store them at room temperature.
Quick & Easy Cheese Straws Recipe
- 375 g Puff Pastry
- 200 g Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 190°C / gas mark 5 / 375°F
- Unroll your puff pastry and sprinkle the cheddar cheese and black pepper on one half of the puff pastry.
- Fold your pastry over and gently press down with a rolling pin.
- Cut the cheese filled pastry into 1.5cm apart strips. Once cut, pinch the two opposite ends of one strip and twist in the opposite direction 3-4 times and place on a baking try lined with parchment paper. Repeat for all pastry strips.
- Coat each pastry cheese strips with an egg wash and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
Have you tried this best cheese straw recipe ever? Let me know in the comments below and tag me on Instagram @MyMorningMocha, I would love to see it!