Chicken Mayo Sandwich Filler Recipe
Are you ready to tuck into the best chicken mayo sandwich ever? This recipe is easy to make, it’s full of flavour and like any tasty sandwich, the secret is in the sauce!
Homemade chicken mayo sandwiches, a classic recipe and the best way to use up leftover chicken. I make this sandwich all the time and it only takes me 5 minutes to put together.
The chicken is tender and the mayonnaise sauce is so creamy and delicious. Together this combo makes an irresistible sandwich perfect for lunch, breakfast and everything in-between.
Plus, this is no ordinary chicken mayo sandwich, this recipe is one with a twist. I like to sprinkle crispy pieces of bacon for extra flavour (but this is optional).
Why You’ll Like This Recipe
- It’s so simple to make and ready in just 10 minutes
- You only need 3 ingredients to make a classic chicken mayo filling. You can add extra herbs and spices for extra flavour
- A great way to use up leftover roast chicken
- It’s perfect for picnics, lunches, gatherings and parties
If you love sandwiches as much as I do, then you should try this classic coronation chicken sandwich recipe too!
Watch How To Make It
Why Is Chicken And Mayo So Good?
Chicken and mayo are the perfect combination of flavours and textures. Chunks of chicken are coated in creamy mayonnaise that has a slightly salty and sour taste. This combo of flavours is so simple but it works, that’s why it’s so popular in the UK.
Yes, you don’t really need a recipe to make chicken and mayo sandwiches but this is a recipe you can’t miss. Sprinkling extra pieces of crispy bacon takes this recipe to a whole new level.
Below are the few ingredients needed to make this chicken mayo sandwich filler:
- Chicken Breast: I like to use boneless chicken breast for this recipe. You can buy rotisserie chicken breast at supermarkets or you can roast chicken breast in the oven yourself.
- Mayonnaise: I like to use egg mayonnaise, for full flavour and the ultimate creamy texture.
- Lettuce: Use what type of lettuce you prefer, my go-to choice is gem lettuce or classic iceberg lettuce.
- Bread: I recommend using thick, soft white bread for a classic chicken mayo sandwich.
- Butter: Used to butter the bread; you can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Cracked Black Pepper: Added for extra flavour and texture. If you don’t have cracked black pepper, you can use powdered black pepper instead.
- Crispy Bacon (Optional): Sprinkle small chunks of crispy bacon on top for an irresistible chicken mayo sandwich with a twist. You can buy crispy bacon or make it from scratch. I like using streaky bacon.
Should I Use Shredded Chicken Or Cubed?
Shredding the chicken or dicing it into cubes really is up to your personal preference. I prefer dicing the chicken into cubes, as this creates juicy chunks of chicken coated in mayonnaise. However, shredded chicken carries more sauce in each bite!
If you don’t have chicken breast you can use chicken thighs or legs. If you’re making the chicken from scratch, simply season with salt and pepper then roast in the oven. You could also boil the chicken instead.
What Mayo Should I Use?
My go-to mayo is full fat egg mayonnaise as it creates an ultra-creamy texture. You can use lighter mayo versions, though the texture will be less creamy.
If you’re wondering what brand of mayo to use, any is fine! I usually use what I have at home at the time.
Tasty Bread Alternatives
For a classic mayo chicken sandwich, I recommend using thick soft white bread however there are so many alternatives you can use! Seeded brown bread, baguettes, pitta bread and ciabatta are just a few alternatives.
Different types of bread will influence the overall texture and even taste of the sandwich. Seeded breads will add a nutty flavour whereas sourdough will add a tangy taste and a chewy texture.
How To Make Chicken Mayo Sandwich Recipe
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make the best chicken mayo sandwich. Full recipe instructions are on the recipe card:
Dice the chicken breast into small cubes or shred into small lines.
If you’re making homemade crispy bacon, place it in the oven at 200°C (gas mark 6, 180°Fan) for 15 to 25 minutes. You can also fry the rashers of bacon on a medium to low heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
Place the diced chicken, mayonnaise and black pepper to the mixing bowl and mix until evenly combined.
Butter slices of bread then top with two slices of lettuce. Spread the chicken mayo filling on top before closing the sandwich with another slice of bread.
Optional: If you’re adding crispy bacon, dice it into small pieces then sprinkle it on top of the chicken mayo layer.
How To Serve
This chicken mayo sandwich pretty much steals the show on its own. But if you want to turn it into a filling lunch or breakfast, you can serve it with these tasty additions below:
How To Make Ahead
I recommend making sandwiches fresh for the best taste and texture, but you can make it ahead of time to eat at a later date.
Simply mix the sandwich filler ingredients together and leave it in the fridge to chill. When you’re ready to make the sandwich, the filling is already made!
If you want to make the whole sandwich ahead of time, make sure to add a thick layer of butter. This prevents the moisture from the filling turning the bread soggy.
How Long Will Chicken Mayo Last In The Fridge?
Keep this chicken mayo sandwich in the fridge for up to two days in advance before eating it.
Can Chicken Mayo Be Frozen?
I do not recommend freezing mayo chicken as mayonnaise doesn’t freeze well, it could split when thawing affecting the taste and texture of it.
My Top Tips
This chicken and mayo sandwich is so easy to put together but below are a few more tips to make this recipe even easier.
If you’re cooking the chicken from scratch, make sure it has cooled down completely before mixing it in with the mayonnaise. Otherwise, the mayonnaise texture will turn to a weird consistency.
Once you’ve made the mayo chicken filling, try it and adjust the seasonings if necessary. If you feel it needs more mayo add more mayo, or herbs like chives, parsley and oregano.
Add a touch of mango chutney or this caramelised red onions for a delicious, sweet contrasting flavour.
Turn It Into A Salad: The great thing about this chicken mayo sandwich filler is that you can make tasty salads with it too. Simply add in your favourite salad vegetables.
Add Crisps: If you like a crunch in your sandwich why not add some cheese and onion crisps inside? I personally like crisps out of my sandwich!
Make It Cheesy: I don’t think cheese is needed in this sandwich, but it definitely will make it more rich and succulent. Parmesan and cheddar cheese will be great additions.
More Chicken Recipes
Chicken Mayo Sandwich (The Best)
- 2 Chicken Breast (Boneless)
- 120 g (½ Cup) Mayonnaise (8 tbsp)
- 4 Slices Of Bread
- 8 Lettuce (2 Per Sandwich)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper (Or To Taste)
- Butter (As Needed)
- 4 Rashers Streaky Bacon (Optional: See Notes)
- Dice the chicken breast into small cubes or shred into small lines.
- Place the diced chicken, mayonnaise and black pepper to the mixing bowl and mix until evenly combined.
- Butter slices of bread then top with two slices of lettuce. Spread the chicken mayo filling on top before closing the sandwich with another slice of bread.
Bacon:If you’re making homemade crispy bacon, place it in the oven at 200°C (gas mark 6, 180°Fan) for 15 to 25 minutes. You can also fry the rashers of bacon on a medium to low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Dice it into small pieces then sprinkle it on top of the chicken mayo layer.
How To Make AheadI recommend making sandwiches fresh for the best taste and texture, but you can make it ahead of time to eat at a later date. Simply mix the sandwich filler ingredients together and leave it in the fridge to chill. When you’re ready to make the sandwich, the filling is already made! If you want to make the whole sandwich ahead of time, make sure to add a thick layer of butter. This prevents the moisture from the filling turning the bread soggy.
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY