The Best 5 Minute Double Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
A moist, gooey and quick double chocolate mug cake recipe ready in no more than 5 minutes. Grab your favourite cup, mix in the ingredients, microwave and you’ve got the best luscious single serving dessert EVER!
Get ready everyone, this double chocolate mug cake is going to become your new obsession (don’t say I didn’t warn you!). It’s a 5-minute microwave mug cake recipe that will give you a soft, gooey and moist double chocolate cake that tastes amazing! The double chocolate flavour is created using cocoa powder and of course lots of chocolate chips.
Mug cakes are great for when you want a quick snack fast, you can treat yourself to this dessert pretty much any time of the day. It makes a great cheeky breakfast, a quick afternoon treat and even an indulgent midnight snack. Plus, you can make so many different mug cake flavours like this Lotus Biscoff mug cake – Yum!
Why You’ll Like This Recipe
Hardly Any Washing Up: There’s no need to use mixing bowls, wooden spoons, baking tins or weighing scales. All you need is your favourite mug and a fork or mini whisk.
Ready In 5 Minutes: Mug cake recipes are popular because they take so quick to prepare and bake! I’m not joking when I say this chocolate cake takes over a minute in the microwave and few more minutes to prep.
The Best Last-Minute Dessert: This type of cake recipe is the perfect solution for last minute dessert problems. It’s also great for kids too!
Basic Ingredients: There’s no crazy ingredients added to this recipe, most of the ingredients you’re likely to have at home already. The wildest ingredient used would probably be cocoa powder but that goes to show how basic the ingredients are.
The Texture: This double chocolate mug cake is the best ever. It’s an indulgent, moist and addictive chocolate mug cake that’s so quick to make.
Watch How To Make This No Egg Double Chocolate Mug Cake
Below are the few ingredients needed to make this easy egg free double chocolate mug cake, full instructions are on the recipe card at the bottom with a video.
- Plain Flour: I used plain flour also called all-purpose flour.
- Cocoa Powder: I used a good quality dark and rich cocoa powder for an indulgent and luscious double chocolate mug cake. You can get it here on Amazon, it’s my favourite cocoa powder ever and I use it a lot in my bakes. Using a dark and rich cocoa powder will give you more of an intense chocolatey flavour.
- Sugar: I used white granulated sugar to make this cake but you can also use brown sugar. Brown sugar will help give you a moist cake texture. I sometimes mix the two but generally I use whatever I have at the time.
- Baking Powder: This gives the mug cakes a boost in the microwave when baking, it helps the cake to rise. It’s important not to add too much, only a tiny amount is added to the cake to prevent the cake overflowing.
- Milk: Whole dairy milk is what I used, the fat content helps create a moist and soft cake. To make this recipe vegan you can use almond milk, coconut milk or any other vegan alternatives.
- Vegetable Oil: A tablespoon of oil is added to the cake for extra moistness, use any neutral flavoured oil. You can also use melted butter if you like. But that’s an extra step, you’ll have to melt the butter seperatly.
- Vanilla Extract: Adding vanilla extract is optional but it does add extra flavour and makes this cake even more indulgent. But if you don’t have vanilla at home, it’s okay to leave it out, it’s not a must for this recipe.
- Chocolate Chips: Use any type of chocolate chips you like, I used milk chocolate. Add a range of flavours for a triple chocolate mug cake recipe.
How To Make A Quick, Easy & Moist Double Chocolate Mug Cake
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make a no egg double chocolate microwave mug cake. Full instructions are on the recipe card at the bottom with a video too.
Add plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sugar into a mug and mix together until evenly distributed.
Add milk, oil, vanilla and a generous tablespoon of chocolate chips into the mug and mix together until evenly distributed.
Add an extra tablespoon of chocolate chips on top of the cake batter.
Place in the microwave for 70 seconds, then take the cake out of the microwave. If it is not done, continue to microwave for 10 seconds each time until baked.
You can serve this double chocolate mug cake with no additional toppings (it’s that good) or you can add a few of the suggestions below:
- Ice Cream (Vanilla, Chocolate, Salted Caramel)
- More Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Chopped Nuts
- Fresh Fruit (Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries)
- Whipped Cream
My Top Tips
Make sure to check that the mug you are using is microwave safe, usually they’ll be a sign at the bottom or somewhere on the mug to indicate that you can use it in the microwave. If you’re unsure, it’s best to use a cup that you know is microwave safe.
Careful when taking the mug out of the microwave, it might be hot once the cake has baked.
Use a big mug to prevent the cake overflowing in the microwave.
If you notice that the cake is starting to overflow in the microwave, stop the microwave and allow the cake to go back down before heating in the microwave again. Keep a close eye on it. If your cake is overflowing, then it means that the cup size used is too small for the amount of batter. Aim for the batter to be no more than 3/4 full.
Using chocolate chunks will give you small pools of melted chocolate, stuffing lots in the centre will give you a melt in the middle effect.
Microwave Cooking Instructions
I made this mug cake in a regular microwave; my microwave is 800 watts and the mug cake was ready in 70 seconds heated on full powder. The texture was light, moist and soft.
Every microwave is different so the cooking time will differ from one microwave to another. After 70 seconds, stop the microwave and check to see if the cake is cooked. To do this simply insert a toothpick or skewer into the cake, if it comes out doughy it needs more time to cook. The aim is to keep a close eye and to not overcook the cake otherwise it can turn dry.
How To Store
This mug cake is best eaten straight away freshly baked, but if you have any left to store cover with cling film and keep in the fridge for no more than a day.
Below are the few equipment needed to make this double chocolate mug cake:
Double Chocolate Mug Cake (Moist & Gooey)
- Add plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sugar into a mug and mix together until evenly distributed.
- Add milk, oil, vanilla and a generous tablespoon of chocolate chips into the mug and mix together until evenly distributed.
- Add an extra tablespoon of chocolate chips on top of the cake batter.
- Place in the microwave for 70 seconds, then take the cake out of the microwave. If it is not done, continue to microwave for 10 seconds each time until baked.
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY