How To Make Homemade Grissini Breadsticks From Scratch
This crispy Grissini breadsticks recipe is the perfect snack for dipping! Made with no food processor or stand mixer this breadstick recipe is so easy to make from scratch and tastes delicious.
I love making super long, crunchy and very rustic breadsticks to eat alongside hummus. Being very crispy and crunchy in texture, this type of breadsticks are known as Grissini Breadsticks originating from Italy; they’re usually served in restaurants and sold in markets and bakeries. One thing that always stands out to me with grissini breadsticks are its super long pencil-sized shape. I always like to see how long I can make them!
Making your own homemade breadsticks from scratch with this recipe is very easy. Whenever I fancy a quick snack or have a bit of hummus left over I’m always making them, with no fancy equipment needed at all; I promise! It’s a simple snack to make just like my easy cheese straws!
- Plain Flour – You can use bread flour in this recipe or plain flour. They both taste great.
- Yeast – I used instant yeast in this recipe, which is mixed with the other ingredients to form the breadstick dough. When rolled out it will need an hour to prove.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Adds flavour and contributes to the crunchy texture.
- Salt – Brings out flavour
- Sesame Seeds – The sesame seeds are sprinkled on top of the breadstick dough. If you’re not a fan of sesame seeds you can use any seeds you like.
- Black Pepper (Optional) – I love the taste of black pepper sprinkled on breadsticks, though this is optional.
How To Make Grissini Breadsticks From Scratch
Put your flour, yeast and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together so that the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
Add the olive oil and water to the mixing bowl and stir until the ingredients has combined.
Knead the dough by hand for about 1 minute.
Roll the dough out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface.
Brush olive oil over the breadstick dough and sprinkle with your seeds and spices. Here I have used sesame seeds and black pepper. Leave the dough to rise for an hour.
With a pizza cutter or knife cut 1/2 cm apart strips and put them on your baking tray lines with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 180°C, 350°F, gas mark 4 and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
And that’s how to make crispy Grissini breadsticks from scratch, hope you enjoyed the recipe! Let me know in the comments below and if you’ve made this recipe, tag me on Instagram @MyMorningMocha, I would love to see them!
What To Have With Breadsticks
If you’re wondering what goes well with breadsticks…what doesn’t go well with breadsticks! Below I have a list of few things you can be eating alongside your homemade grissini breadsticks.
- Smoked Salmon Pate – So tasty and ready in only 5 minutes.
- Tuna Pate – Made with tinned tuna!
- Hummus – I’ve told you that hummus and breadsticks are my go-to snack. I just love the combination of the two, it tastes delicious and is guilt-free too!
- Dips – Dips such as guacamole, salsa and melted cheese to name a few.
- Ham & Cheese – Served with sliced ham, cheese and olives.
Breadsticks Recipe (Grissini) That’s Crispy & Easy
- 250 g Plain Flour
- 50 g Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 100 ml Water Add more if needed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Instant Yeast
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Optional
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds Optional
- Put your flour, yeast and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together so that the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Add the olive oil and water to the mixing bowl and stir until the ingredients has combined.
- Knead the dough by hand for about 1 minute.
- Roll the dough out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface.
- Brush olive oil over the breadstick dough and sprinkle with your seeds and spices. Here I have used sesame seeds and black pepper. Leave the dough to rise for an hour.
- With a pizza cutter or knife cut 1/2 cm apart strips and put them on your baking tray lines with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 180°C, 350°F, gas mark 4 and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
For more Food posts, click on the food category on the menu above and browse through. Subscribe to our newsletter below to never miss a recipe!
I love that I can make these breadsticks without a stand mixer and without a lot of hand kneading. They look absolutely delicious and I can’t wait to try this recipe out for my son’s Italian-themed graduation party!
Hey Deb, an Italian-themed graduation party sounds amazing! Let me know how it goes, I hope you enjoy it.
Straight forward and easy – thank goodness!
I used pepper and nigella seeds (tastes like onion) and not quite enough grated cheese BUT it worked well and I thank you.
I will be making many more – Thank You!!!
Hi Perry, thanks for trying the recipe! Pepper and nigella seeds sound tasty!