Here’s How To Make Cinnamon Rolls From Scratch… The Best Recipe For Cinnamon Rolls UK!
The best cinnamon rolls recipe ever! You’re going to love how easy it is to make these tasty cinnamon rolls. It’s soft, fluffy, gooey and topped with a delicious cream cheese icing. This homemade cinnamon rolls recipe is so quick and easy; find out how to make it below.
If you’re a cinnamon lover than you’re really going to LOVE this! This easy cinnamon rolls recipe is a winner right here, in fact the best ever. Made in under 2 hours, you’ll be tucking into warm, light and fluffy cinnamon rolls in no time. They’re surprisingly easy to make, the perfect breakfast treat and snack for any time of the day. I’m not kidding when I say this recipe is my dream come true.
Cinnamon rolls are my all-time favourite and my go to snack in cafes, it’s fair to say I’ve enjoyed more than my fair share! But nothing is better than the smell of homemade freshly baked cinnamon rolls. This recipe is so easy for beginners and you can make these cinnamon rolls from scratch by hand, topped with tasty cream cheese icing.
The dough on these cinnamon rolls (also called cinnamon buns) are incredibly tasty and delicious, I add vanilla to the dough to provide extra flavour. One thing I’m not a fan of is working with very tricky yeasted dough, kneading and proofing for hours on end. Luckily for us, this cinnamon roll recipe is so simple and I’ve also included a quick video of how I make them below.
Cinnamon Rolls Ingredients List
Making cinnamon rolls from scratch with cream cheese icing uses very simple ingredients that you’re likely to have in your house already. No special ingredients or hidden surprises and this UK cinnamon roll recipe is without milk, a standard mixer, bread flour and baking powder. This recipe is just so easy!
- Plain Flour: I use plain flour for my cinnamon rolls, there’s no need to go out of your way to buy bread flour. These cinnamon rolls come out light, fluffy and delicious.
- Granulated Sugar: Is used to provide sweetness to the cinnamon rolls and it also helps to activate the yeast.
- Salt: Salt adds flavour and regulates the yeast activity aiding a slow and steady rise.
- Instant Yeast: Using instant yeast is the secret to what makes the cinnamon rolls in this recipe rise faster. That’s why the proofing time is only 1 hour.
- Vanilla: A great addition to the dough and icing for extra flavour.
- Egg: They’re used in this recipe for the perfect texture, it also helps the dough to rise.
- Cinnamon: The STAR of the show!
- Brown Sugar: I like to use light brown sugar for the cinnamon roll filling.
- Butter: The butter I used was salted, though you can also use unsalted butter.
- The Cream Cheese Icing: For me the icing just brings everything together, it’s unforgettable. The cream cheese icing is a mixture of cream cheese, icing sugar, butter and vanilla.
Why Is This The Best Cinnamon Rolls Recipe Ever?
When I say these homemade cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing are delicious, I really do mean it! Incredibly light, fluffy, soft and gooey; each bite just melts in your mouth. The cinnamon rolls have a nice rise when baked and has the perfect amount of cinnamon flavour. I’ve made cinnamon rolls without putting vanilla in the dough and I’ll never do that again. The addition of vanilla really makes a BIG difference.
These cinnamon rolls are very simple and easy to make, using fast action yeast means you’ll only need to proof the dough for just 1 hour. And did I mention this cinnamon roll recipe is by hand, without the need for a standard mixer? Yes, no special tech required here.
How To Make Homemade Cinnamon Rolls From Scratch
Ready to make your own homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch? I’ll take you through this recipe step-by-step with lots of pictures below.
Mix together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl until thoroughly mixed and evenly distributed.
Put the butter and water together in a microwavable safe container and heat in the microwave for 1 minute or until warm to touch. You might see small lumps of butter that has not completely melted, that is fine. You don’t want to overwarm the mixture that it becomes hot to touch.
Pour into the dry ingredients including the egg and vanilla and mix well with a wooden spoon.
Add the rest of the flour to the mixing bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. At this point the mixture will turn quite thick. If your cinnamon roll dough is sticky, then you’ll need to add more flour. Start with adding an extra 50g of flour, if it’s still sticky then sprinkle a handful of flour at a time.
Once the mixture becomes difficult to mix with a wooden spoon, use your hands to knead the dough. Leave the dough to rest for 10 minutes. You’ll notice the yeast starting to do its work as the dough will rise slightly bigger whilst resting.
After resting, roll the cinnamon roll dough into a rectangle shape. Spread your butter all over the dough and sprinkle the brown sugar then cinnamon on top. Pat the mixture down using the palms of your hands.
Roll the cinnamon roll dough like a swiss roll, once rolled it will look like a log. With a sharp knife or a piece of string like in my cinnamon roll recipe video above. Cut the dough into 12 even-sized slices and place in the baking tray.
Leave the dough to proof for an hour, you’ll see the dough rise in size. After proofing the cinnamon rolls for one hour, preheat your oven to 180°C, gas mark 4, 350°F and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the dough is cooked.
Below is a picture of the cinnamon roll dough before proofing:
Below is the cinnamon roll dough after proofing:
Whilst the cinnamon rolls are baking, place the cream cheese and icing sugar into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Once whisked add the vanilla and butter and whisk till combined. Generously layer the cinnamon rolls with the cream cheese icing whilst the cinnamon rolls are still warm.
My Go-To Tips For Making The Best Cinnamon Rolls
Don’t overheat your butter and water: When warming your butter and water it should not be hot to touch but warm. Hot liquids will kill the yeast resulting in your cinnamon rolls not rising and a cool liquid will not activate the yeast. If you’re unsure, dip your finger inside the mixture; if it’s nice and warm then it’s good to go if not leave to cool down. To be on the safe side, you can microwave the mixture in 15 second intervals.
Tap down the filling: After sprinkling the brown sugar and cinnamon press down the filling before rolling to avoid the filling falling out when cutting it into slices.
Use room temperature butter: Using butter stored at room temperature makes it a lot easier to spread then using butter straight from the fridge.
Dust your rolling pin with flour: Lightly dusting your rolling pin with flour before rolling out your dough avoids the dough ripping or sticking to the rolling pin.
Cinnamon Rolls Recipe Variations
Want to play around with this recipe and add in your favourite ingredients? How about adding…
- Puff Pastry Cinnamon Swirls: The same cinnamon roll filling but in flaky and buttery puff pastry. This recipe is absolutely delicious and can be made in just 30 minutes.
- Raisins: I’m not the biggest fan of raisins but cinnamon rolls with raisins are a popular combination.
- Nutella: If you’re a fan of Nutella and chocolate desserts you can spread Nutella on the cinnamon roll dough instead of butter.
- Peanut butter: Are you a peanut butter lover? Create a nutty, sweet and salty cinnamon roll.
- Chocolate chips: Add extra flavour to this cinnamon roll recipe with delicious melted chocolate embedded within the filling.
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls – The Best Ever
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 600 g Plain Flour
- 14 g Dried Active / Instant Yeast
- 75 g Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 355 g Water
- 85 g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Vanilla
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- 175 g Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 60 g Butter
Cream Cheese Icing
- 85 g Icing Sugar
- 2 tsp Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Mix together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl until thoroughly mixed and evenly distributed.
- Put the butter and water together in a microwavable safe container and heat in the microwave for 1 minute or until warm to touch.
- Pour into the dry ingredients including the egg and vanilla and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the rest of the flour to the mixing bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. If your cinnamon roll dough is sticky, then you’ll need to add more flour.
- Once the mixture becomes difficult to mix with a wooden spoon, use your hands to knead the dough. Leave the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll the cinnamon roll dough into a rectangle shape. Spread your butter all over the dough and sprinkle the brown sugar then cinnamon on top. Pat the mixture down using the palms of your hands.
- Roll the cinnamon roll dough like a swiss roll, once rolled it will look like a log. With a sharp knife or a piece of string cut the dough into 12 even-sized slices and place in the baking tray.
- Leave the dough to proof for an hour, you’ll see the dough rise in size.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C, gas mark 4, 350°F and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the dough is cooked.
- Whilst the cinnamon rolls are baking, place the cream cheese and icing sugar into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Once whisked add the vanilla and butter and whisk till combined. Generously layer the cinnamon rolls with the cream cheese icing whilst the cinnamon rolls are still warm.
I hope you enjoyed my best easy cinnamon rolls and icing recipe. Have you tried this cinnamon rolls UK recipe? Let me know in the comments below and tag me on Instagram @MyMorningMocha, I would love to see it!
Music in video from Uppbeat, License code: 08VBCZFHCZBZDBBY